Restoring with Acronis True Image WD Edition?

Go to solution Solved by vanished,
Just now, trevor_leong said:

Ahh...the shit I do for Asus support, please kill me already.

The thing about manually copying the files I want is that I am afraid I might miss out certain files that I actually want, but had forgotten to, which by then would be too late.

Oh well you know what? I think I'm just gonna back up both using the Acronis software and Windows 10 backup LOL.

If you're only worried about files specifically (and not registry, installed programs, etc.) you could just copy the entire drive rather than picking and choosing.  That way you won't miss anything.

I am currently in the midst of trying to reinstall Windows 10 as part of fixing my computer (look here for why) but before doing that, I am backing up my files using Acronis True Image WD Edition onto my external hard drive.

One concern I have though is that I've heard that this software backs up everything including all my Windows file so if I restored my computer, would it not bring any windows issue forward when I do so after I reinstalled Windows 10?

I don't know, I am hoping anyone with experience in this field or with this software can enlighten me on this, thanks.

Yes, a complete system image will restore your entire computer as it was at the point in time when you captured it, problem and all.  It's a great way to do a backup of the system so you have something to restore to quickly if something goes wrong without having to reinstall, but it won't get you back to a clean state.  But then, that's the point :)

I think you want to just backup files, more or less manually, rather than taking a whole system image.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, a complete system image will restore your entire computer as it was at the point in time when you captured it, problem and all.  It's a great way to do a backup of the system so you have something to restore to quickly if something goes wrong without having to reinstall, but it won't get you back to a clean state.  But then, that's the point :)

I think you want to just backup files, more or less manually, rather than taking a whole system image.

Yea, that and also all my other programs (I can't imagine downloading GTA 5 all over again). Though then would Windows 10 backup suffice? Or does it do the same as Acronis True Image WD Edition?

1 minute ago, trevor_leong said:

Yea, that and also all my other programs (I can't imagine downloading GTA 5 all over again). Though then would Windows 10 backup suffice? Or does it do the same as Acronis True Image WD Edition?

I believe it would do what you're looking for but - full disclosure - I've never used it and only have a vague idea how it works based on what I've heard and knowledge of how the one in Win 7 worked.  If you can just manually copy the files you want to save somewhere, that would work and might be easiest.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I believe it would do what you're looking for but - full disclosure - I've never used it and only have a vague idea how it works based on what I've heard and knowledge of how the one in Win 7 worked.  If you can just manually copy the files you want to save somewhere, that would work and might be easiest.

The thing about manually copying the files I want is that I am afraid I might miss out certain files that I actually want, but had forgotten to, which by then would be too late.

Oh well you know what? I think I'm just gonna back up both using the Acronis software and Windows 10 backup LOL.

Just now, trevor_leong said:

If you're only worried about files specifically (and not registry, installed programs, etc.) you could just copy the entire drive rather than picking and choosing.  That way you won't miss anything.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm...I guess I could do that. I think I might after all. Ok thanks :D.