windows on a USB drive

Wheres_The_Money

There was a very helpful thread about getting it on a USB drive, but we forgot to sticky it and so it has become lost in the void of the forums.

This:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-vista-or-xp-usb-flashpen-drive-with-a-single-click-must-try/

(sorry, links are being annoying)

is a simple third-party method; there are ways to do it without a third-party program using the command prompt, but it's much simpler to just use software (especially if you're going to be wiping the drive anyway).

Also, point of warning if it's Windows 8, I believe you need at least a 5GB capacity drive.

There was a very helpful thread about getting it on a USB drive, but we forgot to sticky it and so it has become lost in the void of the forums.

This:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-vista-or-xp-usb-flashpen-drive-with-a-single-click-must-try/

(sorry, links are being annoying)

is a simple third-party method; there are ways to do it without a third-party program using the command prompt, but it's much simpler to just use software (especially if you're going to be wiping the drive anyway).

Also, point of warning if it's Windows 8, I believe you need at least a 5GB capacity drive.

thanks for the help

What version of Windows are you using? Microosft at one point recommended programs for making the ISO, one of them was the free: ImgBurn software (http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download), you try that. But it should work with an ISO maker.

The only idea is that you have a 32-bit OS, and you are trying to make bootable and write a 64-bit OS, which is normally not possibly, not without some super complex trickery to make that possible. If that is teh case, go on a 64-bit system, else then that you can try the above software and cross your finger it support that. OR use the Windows disk.

i have used that and it did not work, what i am trying to do is install windows on a computer that has windows XP, the computer keeps blue screening when not in safe mode, so i want to put windows 7 on it but the disc drive does not see the CD, i do not know what else to do i cant find a way of getting windows on a USB i think it might be that i did not buy windows, a friend gave me a copy with all the windows 7 on it 32 and 64 bit.

yea, it doesn't work that way. You need a genuine version of Windows. In order to make a 64-bit OS bootable USB, you need a 64-bit OS in the first place.

That is of course assuming you have a 64-bit CPU, else, 32-bit Windows is all you can get.

If you are a student check if your college or university is registered to MSDNAA, which give you Windows 7 & 8 for free, among many other Microsoft software (about everything except Office). But if not, you have student pricing here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.273511300. If you are not in Canada, there is similar student pricing in your region.

You should have bought Windows 8 Pro for 40$ offer that was from October to January 31st. It even included the now add-on Media Center + DVD codec for free as well.

If you don't have a dual core CPU, a GPU with 256MB of memory or more, with at least 2GB of RAM, you can forget Windows Vista, 7, or 8. It will be a slideshow. Just re-install XP.

i was thinking thats why it didnt work how can i get windows XP? this computer wont run anything newer then its only a pentium 4 thanks for your help

You don't have Windows XP disk or recovery disk of your system?

If not, then ask your friends if they have their old copy of Windows XP that they don't use to give it to you. Also you can try asking people if they have Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is near identical to XP. XP came out just a years after Windows 2000, and shared the same updates, until SP2 of XP. XP new features was the theme look, new icons, new help document, the animated dog search and the likes, the larger start menu, and the really primitive firewall (that was added in SP2), oh and faster boot time and the activation system.

Else then that, if you are really stuck, you can try Windows 8. While your computer is bellow system requirements on the box, Windows 8 is the most optimized Windows of late, and while it is expected to not run smoothly, it will run more smoothly than 7 or definitely smoother than Vista. While I haven't tried Windows 8 on a P4, I did with Win7, and it was difficult to use. But Windows 8, is highly optimized, and designed for tablet. I had a look on youTube, and it looks somewhat usable actually.. I am impressed. I am sure XP would be faster, but hey it's something.

You can try Windows 8 Trial for 90 days to see how it runs for you here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx Of course, get the 32-bit version, as you don't have a 64-bit CPU.

If that is not an option for you, then you have Linux. I highly recommend Ubuntu distro. It's free, a breeze to install (like Windows Vista and up setup), and has a very helpful community, and has a "store" like system, called a package manager, where it's fill with 100% free apps, pre-compiled and setup for Linux Ubuntu. You just click, and it will download and install the program for you. Easy, simple, and works. You can use Wine software, a Windows translator, which allows you to run some Windows programs under Linux. Won't be great, and only a few program will work perfectly, but its something.. at least until you have enough funds to get a new compy or lappy with Windows.

i got a copy of windows XP and when i try to install it theres something that comes up and says, No Valid System Partitions Were Found i looked this up and found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817577 but i do not get what it is and how to fix it this is really killing me hope i can get this all working thanks again for your help

Alright i got windows XP loaded up and am now setting it up this toke way to long to do thanks for your help on this

Glad I could help. And Glad you got your XP working. If it breaks again, it could be your HDD dying out