Strange Power Problems

Biohazard186

I'm experiencing a rather strange issue when I boot my computer in the morning. After hitting the power button it powers up just fine until just after the screen which tells you how to enter the BIOS. From there, it lasts about five seconds and loses power. Hit the power button again and everything's fine, no hiccups throughout the day or anything. Every part in this computer is brand new. What has me even more puzzled, my last computer would sometimes do the same thing. Both my old and new computer was/is plugged into the same surge protector but the surge protector is plugged into a different outlet in the room than before. Since it powers on fine on the second try and operates perfectly the rest of the day I'm tempted to just ignore it as a quirk of this particular machine but I am somewhat concerned about long term damage. Any idea what's going on?

Specs will help maybe. But have you tried if you system works normal without the surge protector?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Plugged the computer directly into the wall and the same thing happened. My thinking now is it's a problem with the hardware (although unlikely since it's happened across two computers with no shared parts) or a problem with the power in the house, like it not smooth or something. I dunno.

Maybe PSU or PSU cable. Or wall connection then.

So this happend on 2 completley different PC's?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Yeah. It is an old house so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a problem with the wiring.

Could try using different wall ports for all stuff you have connected. For example I have besides my PC also a large homcinema system, and the sub I do on different port just incase. Could try that allthough I doubt it is the issue. But did you use same PSU and cable for both PC's?

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

I did, actually, without meaning to. There are two sockets in range of my desk and when I tested the computer against the wall it was plugged into the socket that the surge protector is not.

Different PSU and different power cable. I make it a point to use the newest cables when I get new parts like that.