Strange Pixelation Problem

Corrupt_Liberty

I've been getting some strange pixelation problems from my GPU on occasion.  It isn't artifacting as most of the search results I find are.  Not sure what's causing it but if I restart the computer it goes away.  Then sometimes I'll start up a game and it will come back.  When it does happen everything remains pixelated even after leaving the game.  Screenshots show up as normal so I've posted pictures from my phone.  It's hard to tell from the pictures, easiest to notice if you look at the compass/quest tracker at the top of the image. But the pixelation seems perfectly even over the entire screen.

Normal Screenshot

Pixelated Screenshot

GTX 780 ti

Asus Maximus VI Impact

Intel Core i7 4770K

DIsplay is a HP ZR2740w running 2560x1440

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

3 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Screenshots

those are not screenshots

those are monitor shots

please do screenshots and upload them

Just now, zMeul said:

those are not screenshots

those are monitor shots

please do screenshots and upload them

Exactly.  I said they were pictures from my phone.  Screenshots show up as if they were normal when pixelated like that.  A "monitor shot" was the only way to capture the problem.

Test it on a new monitor/tv , get a new HDMI cable, try a new GPU if possible, try another GPU driver. These should tell you where the problem is coming from exactly.

10 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Exactly.  I said they were pictures from my phone.  Screenshots show up as if they were normal when pixelated like that.  A "monitor shot" was the only way to capture the problem.

if the image problems do not show up on a screenshot, then the issue is most likely not related to the video card

you should look at the cable and the monitor

I did try switching cables from DP to DVI.  Seemed to work at first but then it came back.  I can maybe try to borrow another monitor.  It won't be this high resolution though.

5 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I did try switching cables from DP to DVI.  Seemed to work at first but then it came back.  I can maybe try to borrow another monitor.  It won't be this high resolution though.

Maybe your screen starts to failt hen or the cable (ports) are a bit loose. Make sure all fits properly.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

If it was the monitor though, why would restarting the PC fix the issue every time?  Turning the monitor off and on doesn't resolve the issue.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update.  Apparently it was just evidence of my card failing.  My PC crashed hard two weeks ago and restarted with "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply".  Also when it restarted the screen was completely garbled.  I could barely make out that message as the screen was filled with flashing artifacts and distorting all over. I shut the PC down and pulled the graphics card (happy fun times draining the loop and putting my air cooler back on the CPU).  After switching to the integrated GPU the computer ran fine.  I checked all my voltages from the PSU (AX860i) and they were all well within spec.

With two months left on my three year warranty I figured I should contact Asus.  I was more than impressed by the service I received.  They assured me that replacing the cooler with a waterblock did not void the warranty provided there was no physical damage to the card and I replaced the original cooler before returning it.  So I shipped the card to them a week ago Friday and received a replacement yesterday.  A quick turn around if there ever was one!  The only issue I had was their RMA status website is pretty useless.

Anyway, the new card is back in my system, albeit on air cooling for now.  So far so good.  Everything fired up and initial tests are showing good results.  I am going to do some more testing before I reinstall the water cooling loop.  I was hoping to get at least another year out of this system before I upgrade.  Looks like I just might make it.  This was my first RMA experience with Asus (I've almost always bought MSI although my last MB was Asrock) and I have to say I am impressed.