Internet help

RedAppleFinn

I need internet and I can't run an Ethernet cable from my router to my desktop. So I was wondering is it better to use Ethernet over power or a PCIE WiFi adapter?

That depends, but most likely the power line will be better. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

That depends on many things, such as the wiring quality in the building, distance from the router, quality of the router's access point, walls inbetween you and the router, the thickness of the walls, wireless interference etc. etc. 

I would recommend trying Powerline first but keeping the receipt and packaging so you can return it just in case the performance is bad. While Powerline can be faster and more stable than WiFi, it is dependent on the wiring in the building, so its performance differs for every case. 

46 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That depends on many things, such as the wiring quality in the building, distance from the router, quality of the router's access point, walls inbetween you and the router, the thickness of the walls, wireless interference etc. etc. 

I would recommend trying Powerline first but keeping the receipt and packaging so you can return it just in case the performance is bad. While Powerline can be faster and more stable than WiFi, it is dependent on the wiring in the building, so its performance differs for every case. 

Thank you! i'll try that

Powerline can be weird sometimes, I have a D-Link AV 2000 with a internet connection of about 130 Down and 10 Up (directly connected to my router via a cat 5e cable and using speedtest.net). I get speeds with the powerline adapter of about 70 down and 10 up (agian using speedtest.net). However the the powerline connection is not always stable and  at one point it was only about 15 down. Either way I think powerline is the better option, wireless may be a little faster but will for sure have the most latency. It really depends how far you are from the access point and if you use powerline the power cable in the building might be longer then you would think. Honestly it would be better to just run an ethernet cable to your desktop but that is not always possible.