Ethernet IP Configuration Problem

Seanabo

My setup  has my laptop connected to my home wifi network, then my PC connected to my laptop via ethernet. My laptop shares the wifi connection and that's how I get internet being across the house from my router.

Problem:

Randomly, I'll boot up and my ethernet will say "Unidentified Network" and the windows troubleshooting says ""Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration." Laptop connects to wifi with no troubles (that's how I'm here right now). Checking online, the only answer I got was that my drivers need to be updated, but they're up to date and the problem always goes away with time but I need to figure out a fix that doesn't involve waiting days at a time. 

It's currently set to obtain IP and DNS server addresses automatically. 

I've tried resetting both the PC and laptop, using the troubleshooting on both of them, countless hours of unplugging/plugging back in. Usually these do the trick, but on occasions like today they haven't helped. Any other ideas to fix are appreciated. 

Posted this 2 days ago in the workbench forums, still hasn't been able to connect. Anytime it's plugged in to the laptop, both call the ethernet connection an Unidentified Network and both yield the same IP configuration error.

maybe you can try setting up a static ip address?

set a static ip on your router(dhcp sever) for your computer nics' mac address, with an address outside of the dhcp scope (to avoid the chance of somehow assigning the same address to different devices) and assign on your desktop the ip/netmask/dns manually.

what method are you using to share the network through your laptop?

What method of sharing is being used in the laptop? Bridging? ICS?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 hours ago, brwainer said:

What method of sharing is being used in the laptop? Bridging? ICS?

I have the wifi connection set to Shared. Honestly, completely forgot to try bridging this time around, but last time I had this issue bridging didn't work either. 

13 hours ago, Wolfskie said:

maybe you can try setting up a static ip address?

set a static ip on your router(dhcp sever) for your computer nics' mac address, with an address outside of the dhcp scope (to avoid the chance of somehow assigning the same address to different devices) and assign on your desktop the ip/netmask/dns manually.

what method are you using to share the network through your laptop?

When I'm home, I'll try setting up a static IP. It may take a while because I don't know s**t about networking, I'll let you know if I get stuck or can't get it to work.