Edgerouter and FIOS

BrownZeus

Hi guys so here is my dilema.

I just got Verizon FIOS at my home, coming from Time Warner.

For those of you who don't know how FIOS works, a fiberline is fed to a reciever box called an ONT. The ONT takes in the fiber data and distributes it to all its various function. The ONT outputs, Internet, Phone, and TV, all in one box. So essentially it is the modem plus the other functions. Now with FIOS many of the TV functions are reliant on an internet connection, so what Verizon does is provide a router, that does as any wireless router does, there is a Ethernet hookup from the ONT to the Router's WAN port, and specifically for the Cable Boxes, there is a Coaxial out from the router that feeds into the coxial network so that the cable boxes can pull a data connection from the web.

With my timewarner service I had the modem feed to my Edgerouter X, and then to all the clients.

I did some research and I found that my Verizon router could be replaced with my own, so I figured I'd insert my edgerouter into the mix.

So the FIOS Configuration is

ONT(modem) --> Verizon Router ---> clients

So what I tried todo was do ONT ---> ERX(LAN)--->Verizon Router (WAN), and according to a few forum posts this type of configuration (Where you provide put your own router in) should work.

And as you might've guessed. It did not work.

So I thought let me reset my ERX and start over.

Reset my ERX, used the 2lan2 wizard so that eth0 is WAN, and eth1-4 is switch.

And now my ERX appears to not be working anymore. 2lan2 was the configuration i used the first time I set it up, but i guess the new firmware might've screwed it up, given I know for a fact I did not have software version 1.9 on my ERX out of the box.

What's happening with my ERX now is that it'll entirely stop responding once you hookup the WAN connection (WebGUI will not load off LAN). For the time being I was trying to give the ERX the WAN hookup via Verizon Router (Lan port) to the ERX, given the edgerouter, or any device rather seems to not take a internet connection directly from the ONT.

As of right now I don't even want to permanently have my ERX on this network anymore, I just want to be working for future use, or even just to sell.

Any tips? If anything is unclear or you need more info please let me know, I'd be happy to provide.

Well now my ERX is as goos as a brick. After the most recent reset via the reset button, I can't load the webGUI, and if I connect multiple computers to it as is, they do not recognize that they are on the same network. I'm going to return, or maybe replace it since i got it through amazon.

Check out the guides on DSLReports on how to use your own router with FIOS. They haven't really updated them now that Verizon has their new Gateway router, but it's largely the same as the plans they have there.

As for getting back into your ERX, I can't really help much as I have never used any ubiquiti hardware.

EDIT: start reading this page, there are others linked from it with additional details. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I have Verizon FiOS (well they were bought by Frontier, but the tech is the same) and I have the ONT plugged directly into my EdgeRouter Lite, no modem needed and it worked after setting up the WAN/LAN using the built in wizard. If you want to ditch the modem, call them up and let them know you don't want to use the modem. I told the tech when he was installing the ONT I didn't want to use a modem so he just made a call, had me sign a paper, and then plugged the CAT cable into my router and waited to make sure I was able to grab an IP before he left.

As for bricking your router, you should be able to do a hard reset. I forget exactly how off hand but my dad had bricked a few ER Lites before and he found a post on Ubiquiti's forums that reset both of them so he didn't have to trash them. Search their forums for a solution or open a thread there. Search for both ER-X and ER Lite since the methods should be the same.

-KuJoe

3 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I have Verizon FiOS (well they were bought by Frontier, but the tech is the same) and I have the ONT plugged directly into my EdgeRouter Lite, no modem needed and it worked after setting up the WAN/LAN using the built in wizard. If you want to ditch the modem, call them up and let them know you don't want to use the modem. I told the tech when he was installing the ONT I didn't want to use a modem so he just made a call, had me sign a paper, and then plugged the CAT cable into my router and waited to make sure I was able to grab an IP before he left.

As for bricking your router, you should be able to do a hard reset. I forget exactly how off hand but my dad had bricked a few ER Lites before and he found a post on Ubiquiti's forums that reset both of them so he didn't have to trash them. Search their forums for a solution or open a thread there. Search for both ER-X and ER Lite since the methods should be the same.

I have the exact same setup as you. The problem for the OP is he also has cable from FIOS, and the set top boxes they use require internet via MoCA, which is like Powerline except for Coax. Not only do they need this (in order to get the program guide data) but you also have to have certain ports forwarded to the set top boxes (in order for other features like remotely controlling a DVR to work). This is all explained in the DSLReports info pages.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, brwainer said:

I have the exact same setup as you. The problem for the OP is he also has cable from FIOS, and the set top boxes they use require internet via MoCA, which is like Powerline except for Coax. Not only do they need this (in order to get the program guide data) but you also have to have certain ports forwarded to the set top boxes (in order for other features like remotely controlling a DVR to work). This is all explained in the DSLReports info pages.

Thanks for correcting me, I was reading/replying on mobile so I might have skimmed the first post and missed that key point. :)

-KuJoe

On 11/5/2016 at 10:01 PM, KuJoe said:

On 11/6/2016 at 1:53 AM, brwainer said:

So update, my ERX is no longer a brick, but I took it off my network entirely and put my wireless routers into cascade with the Verizon Gateway.

It appears my ONT just doesn't want to give internet to anything but the Verizon Gateway, i tried a few routers, and computers (Direct ethernet hookup) and nothing.

Its not a big deal really, I got the ERX because my TWC modem didn't wanna give full bandwidth(300/20) to my TPLINK router despite it having the gigabit inputs and outputs, so I needed the erx to pull full bandwidth and then distribute, and it did it just fine.

The provided Verizon gateway doesn't give me that issue, and my TPLINK is working just fine.

Thank you all for your help and advice, its very much appreciated.

54 minutes ago, BrownZeus said:

So update, my ERX is no longer a brick, but I took it off my network entirely and put my wireless routers into cascade with the Verizon Gateway.

It appears my ONT just doesn't want to give internet to anything but the Verizon Gateway, i tried a few routers, and computers (Direct ethernet hookup) and nothing.

Its not a big deal really, I got the ERX because my TWC modem didn't wanna give full bandwidth(300/20) to my TPLINK router despite it having the gigabit inputs and outputs, so I needed the erx to pull full bandwidth and then distribute, and it did it just fine.

The provided Verizon gateway doesn't give me that issue, and my TPLINK is working just fine.

Thank you all for your help and advice, its very much appreciated.

You need to contact Verizon to use your own router instead of their modem but since you have cable it probably won't work.

-KuJoe