Why is AMD doing these weird things with their lineup

Mcdoorknob
Go to solution Solved by lachyman,

The Never Settle Forever will probably come later and people who already own the GPU will be able to get their codes somehow. Also it's normal to put iniciative to buy the older cards because they need to clear out the shelves. And actually a lot of people are getting the 280X here because it's cheaper than the 7970, I'm not buying one but 2 of my friends are.

I am very confused about something and it is keeping me from currently buying a 280x. AMD just released a whole new lineup of video cards, but still provide a better incentive to purchase their old video cards. I am talking about the never settle bundles. I need a new video card and I want to buy the 280x over the 7970 because it is cheaper and performs better. But it's so weird to me because they should be trying all they can to get people to buy their new products, yet they are making it so hard to pick between a 280x and an old 7970. seems like the opposite of what most companies do. 

This seems weird to anybody else? Has anybody here bought a 280x so far? 

7970s will be gone soon

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

The Never Settle Forever will probably come later and people who already own the GPU will be able to get their codes somehow. Also it's normal to put iniciative to buy the older cards because they need to clear out the shelves. And actually a lot of people are getting the 280X here because it's cheaper than the 7970, I'm not buying one but 2 of my friends are.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

No, it's exactly what every company does, they want all of the remaining stock of old cards to sell...

If amd can sell 7970s it means that in the short term they dont need to produce as many 280x's therefore saving costs and increasing profits (for the short term). And you dont want all these old cards just sitting around as that is wastage

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

That would be pretty good if the people who already bought their cards. I am probably going to buy a 280x anyways. I really want some of the games though