Advice for Audio Receiver

Hello. So I have a problem that I need a relatively cheap solution for. My problem is this:
I have a 42 inch Sceptre TV. I always thought the image looked good enough on it and I see no point in getting rid of it. The speakers on it are horrendous though so I bought a Bose sound bar for movies and music and stuff. When hooking up the soundbar to the TV, I noticed that it sounded very flat and bad. Nothing like the quality of sound I'm used to from bose. It sounded marginally better than the TV speakers themselves. It was also very quiet. So I connected the sound bar directly to my PS4 with an SPDIF/optical cable and the sound is amazing. But now only my PS4 has sound. My cable box still goes through the TV. My question is:

Is there a small form/relatively affordable device I can connect my PS4, my cable box, and my sound bar to? I know there are plenty audio/video receivers out there but they are big, bulky and use up a lot of electricity. I would prefer a solution that lets me use all my devices and bypasses the horrible sound controller on my TV.

PS. I tried to turn of ALL the options in the TV sound options. I tried to turn off equalization, DTS, etc. I tried turning only some things on, but it barely made a difference in the sound quality. Still miles away from what it sounds like on my PS4.

Is your cable box plugged in to your TV via HDMI? How did you have the sound bar connected originally? That should help us answer your question 

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)

Yes both my cable box and my PS4 are connected to my TV using HDMI. I only just started using the soundbar recently and until now it was exclusively used on my PS4 using SPDIF/optical.

I tried connecting it to my cable box tonight and unfortunately my only option is HDMI for this cable box.

7 minutes ago, Clock_Work said:

Yes both my cable box and my PS4 are connected to my TV using HDMI. I only just started using the soundbar recently and until now it was exclusively used on my PS4 using SPDIF/optical.

I tried connecting it to my cable box tonight and unfortunately my only option is HDMI for this cable box.

What audio outputs does TV possess? If there's an SPDIF output (say coaxial or optical), you can try using that.

8 minutes ago, Stagea said:

What audio outputs does TV possess? If there's an SPDIF output (say coaxial or optical), you can try using that.

TV has both Coaxial SPDIF and HDMI outputs, both have the same results. Something in the TV sound controller is making the sound terrible.

1 minute ago, Clock_Work said:

TV has Coaxial SPDIF output and HDMI, both have the same results. Something in the TV sound controller is making the sound terrible.

What is the TV's model number? 

An option is to use an HDMI Audio extractor between the cable box and the TV.