Overclocking

Andzon

I think I recall back in 2014 when I had bought my PC I was told my motherboard didn't have the capacity to overclock, and neither could I overclock my CPU. What components need to have overclocking abilities for it to work? (I have never overclocked and are a total rookie with this)

For processors they need to be unlocked, generally indicated by a K on the end of their name(intel) or black edition from amd.

for motherboard, i think intel ones have to be a Z board, z170 for example. not sure for amd boards.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I have an i7-4790, as of what I understood I can't overclock it. But does the motherboard matter at all? That part confused me.

3 minutes ago, Andzon said:

I have an i7-4790, as of what I understood I can't overclock it. But does the motherboard matter at all? That part confused me.

Yeah after googling to double check, only Z motherboards can overclock, so the motherboard matters also.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Yeah after googling to double check, only Z motherboards can overclock, so the motherboard matters also.

Oh, great to know! Apart from CPU and GPU, what else can/is useful to overclock? Also, can most GPUs be overclocked?

Oh, great to know! Apart from CPU and GPU, what else can/is useful to overclock? Also, can most GPUs be overclocked?

You can overclock your ram assuming your mobo allows that function, but that has little effect. You can also overclock displays refresh rates which can be useful but it a little dangerous and unstable. I believe all graphics cards can be overclocked but the amount and stability will greatly vary card to card.

CPU: I5-6600k | MOBO: MSI Z170-A XPOWER Gaming Titanium Edition | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO |RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2800 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition | Case: MasterCase Pro 5 | Storage: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB, WD Blue 1 TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Display: Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144hz | Keyboard:Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Headset: Logitech Artemis G933 | PcPP: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sfgGjc

Ram can be overclocked thought doesnt give much benefit.
Getting an upgraded cooler for the cpu is a good idea when overclocking cause of the extra temperatures it adds. Most  gpus yes, I haven't seen one yet that hasn't been overclockable, apart from some iGPUs :P

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

for intel you need cpu's that end with a K and the motherboard does matter for overclocking, better VRM (power delivery system) and stuff like that will make overclocking easier. you don't need a Z motherboard to overclock, thats just for the skylake(an architecture) cpu's