Unifi Video Controller Server Build

FedericoIT

Hi everybody, I am going to have in a couple of weeks eight or ten UVC‑G3‑DOME camera. I was thinking about building a Server/NVR on which install the Unifi Video Controller (Runs on Ubuntu and Windows).

I was thinking about going with an AMD build:

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (180€)

ASRock 970A-G/3.1 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard (90€)

Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (40€)------> Might change memory or expand to 16 GB.

Do you think this build would be ok?

The system would run 24/7 and would work mostly or entirely with continuous recordings (1080p / 30FPS)

Thanks for your help,

Federico

That should be overkill, it's your storage solution that is going to take most of the hit

Overkill for a Ubiquiti NVR.

I'd be more curious to your network infrastructure and storage solution supporting the NVR.

On 11/3/2016 at 1:43 AM, FedericoIT said:

Hi everybody, I am going to have in a couple of weeks eight or ten UVC‑G3‑DOME camera. I was thinking about building a Server/NVR on which install the Unifi Video Controller (Runs on Ubuntu and Windows).

I was thinking about going with an AMD build:

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (180€)

ASRock 970A-G/3.1 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard (90€)

Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (40€)------> Might change memory or expand to 16 GB.

Do you think this build would be ok?

The system would run 24/7 and would work mostly or entirely with continuous recordings (1080p / 30FPS)

Thanks for your help,

Federico

the ubnt nvr is fine for ~10 cameras. might be better to just get one of them. and that's running a  D2550 with 4GB of RAM.

If your not planning on adding more camera's i'd say go the ubnt nvr route (as it uses next to no power, which is important for a device that should be running for ~5 years 24/7)

if you want the box to do other things/add many more cameras later on, then yeah do the build. Might look at intels side as you'd be able to get something very similar in terms of price to performance, but i'd use half the power.