Case airflow problem

Spets

So i bought a new gtx 1060 and after installing it in my alienware x51 case it has really high temperatures even though it has a smaller tdp than the previous card. Also it doesn't have a blower style cooler like the previous one.

specs:

i7 4790

16gb ram

350w psu

alienware x51 r2 case

1 minute ago, Spets said:

Also it doesn't have a blower style cooler like the previous one.

thats why. the case has little airflow so the gpu has no way to remove the hot air. a blower cooler would pull its own air and push it out the back

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

what would you suggest i should do? Also I forgot to add that the gpu still goes to 1911 mhz when gaming and stays at the temperature limit i have set. And it doesn't matter if it's 83 or 75 degrees, performs the same.

i have the 3Gb EVGA GTX 1060 and it has one fan and it idles at 60 and I think it throttles too much. I am considering putting an extra fan blowing on it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

i have the 3Gb EVGA GTX 1060 and it has one fan and it idles at 60 and I think it throttles too much. I am considering putting an extra fan blowing on it

Dude, if it idles at 60 then i am pretty sure you should look into that... my zotac gtx 1060 mini idles at 35 and i still think it's way too much.

27 minutes ago, Spets said:

Dude, if it idles at 60 then i am pretty sure you should look into that... my zotac gtx 1060 mini idles at 35 and i still think it's way too much.

it might be a linux driver issue but i need to find someone else who has used this card on linux. its only got one fan and a little tiny heatsink

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Dumb question, but there's no protective wrapping on the fans or anything like that, right? And the fans are spinning? What temperature would you consider really high? Is it throttling?

7 hours ago, Spets said:

what would you suggest i should do? Also I forgot to add that the gpu still goes to 1911 mhz when gaming and stays at the temperature limit i have set. And it doesn't matter if it's 83 or 75 degrees, performs the same.

then thats fine. the card doesnt thermal throttle until ~90C

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558