Too Hot?

johnmhigh
Go to solution Solved by System Error Message,

because ever since civilisation 5 it has been using a mcrosoft compute feature called directcompute i think. This means it can use the GPU to run code. This taxes the processors more as they perform more task and switch about between them. The game is also multi threaded.

so ive got a 970M 3GB in my laptop (MSI ghost pro)

so far on the division, GTA, BF4 its gotten to about 75c, but on civilization 6 it regularly get to about 86c then thermal throttles, cools down then ramps back up.

it just seams abit weird to me, am i missing something or is civ 6 really that demanding?

TIA 

Must be. Laptops don't have good cooling though (generally), so it may just get excessively hot way to easily. I wouldn't worry about it. My laptops CPU and gpu has ridden at above 100 deg for life periods of time and they are both fine today ;)

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

having a cooling pad might help if you are concerned with thermals or maybe it is just time for some dusting :)

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

i know they tend to have higher heat tolerances, but it seams to be thermal throttling at 86c, is that normal? 

Just now, LukaH said:

having a cooling pad might help if you are concerned with thermals or maybe it is just time for some dusting :)

im on the look out for a good cooling pad, i know its not dust build up, laptop is only 3 months only and gets regular air blasts

Laptops are limited in cooling. So it thermal throttles to save itself from frying. So yes, it's normal.

Nothing.

5 hours ago, TheSuspect said:

Laptops are limited in cooling. So it thermal throttles to save itself from frying. So yes, it's normal.

yes i know that, my question was why is it only doing it on civilization 6? not really a graphically intensive game compared to BF4 and the division, both of which i run on very high settings and get no thermal throttling. 

6 hours ago, johnmhigh said:

so far on the division, GTA, BF4 its gotten to about 75c, but on civilization 6 it regularly get to about 86c then thermal throttles, cools down then ramps back up.

some clarification, my question is why does it only do it on Civ 6?

because ever since civilisation 5 it has been using a mcrosoft compute feature called directcompute i think. This means it can use the GPU to run code. This taxes the processors more as they perform more task and switch about between them. The game is also multi threaded.

10 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

that explains it then lol, thanks!