Corsair Link

LIGISTX

So..... I know I know, all the nice corsair power supplies don't turn their fans on until required. But.... Can the PSU's with digital link allow you to turn the fan on at a user defined wattage? 

My my super duper first world problem is my current RM750, which was a RMA replacement for my TX750v2 which was a RMA replacement for my TX750 which I bought like 9-10 years ago now (talk about fantastic corsair support right!?!), well my current rig in my sig doesn't need anywhere near 750 watts, so even at full game load with my 290 OCed to its limit, my fan never kicks on since I am only drawing ~330 watts from the wall.

Im not at all worried about the PSU, I know the fan works fine from my previous rig and it's GTX 470 OCed to hell and back, but the PSU is radiating heat into my sound card and other components to the point where my metal of the case around the PSU is very very warm, and it's almost to hot to touch. 

I want to be able to control when the fan kicks on to elevate this issue. Would a current RM/HX/AXi support this?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Perhaps it's a BIOS setting? Maybe some manufacturer software can help you with this. I would even consider overclocking to draw more power from the wall and kick on the fan system. And yes, that is a SUPER DUPER first world problem.

Nope, you can unless you have the HX or the AXI that lets you control the PSU through corsair link. In my honest opinion corsair made a huge design mistake by doing this, I think fans should always be on and controlled automatically depending on the temperature of the system...

14 minutes ago, anybodykek said:

Perhaps it's a BIOS setting? Maybe some manufacturer software can help you with this. I would even consider overclocking to draw more power from the wall and kick on the fan system. And yes, that is a SUPER DUPER first world problem.

Yea. No PSU bios.... Can't really modify anything :/ and I have everything OCed, still can't draw enough under game load. 

12 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

Nope, you can unless you have the HX or the AXI that lets you control the PSU through corsair link. In my honest opinion corsair made a huge design mistake by doing this, I think fans should always be on and controlled automatically depending on the temperature of the system...

So the HXi and AXi would allow me to do what I want? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

According to the Corsair forums it said you can. But you can double check their boards just incase.

I have the HX, but I have not linked mine since I only have 2 USB 2.0 slots, one is being used by the case and one is being used by the H100i V2 cooler. I will try tomorrow when I have a bit of time to test this out and report back.

37 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

Yea. No PSU bios.... Can't really modify anything :/ and I have everything OCed, still can't draw enough under game load. 

So the HXi and AXi would allow me to do what I want? 

1 hour ago, IcEWoLF said:

According to the Corsair forums it said you can. But you can double check their boards just incase.

I have the HX, but I have not linked mine since I only have 2 USB 2.0 slots, one is being used by the case and one is being used by the H100i V2 cooler. I will try tomorrow when I have a bit of time to test this out and report back.

Sweet. Let me know! Thanks. 

Ok, after a lot of research and trying to figure out all of the ins and outs of all the Corsair Link PSU's, I went with an RM650i. The only difference between RMi and HXi is efficiency, but the RMi actually has more stability in its power delivery, and is still solidly in the Gold area. Being in California, and seeing as this computer isn't even used all that much (I know.... sad isn't it, I use my HTPC much more often), Gold is more than fine especially since its only 119 bucks compared to the HXi which was ~150.

The RMi should give me total fan control for what I want, although this may no even be a concern since the fan should cut in around ~280 watts of load, which the computer does draw in games. Such a dumb issue to have to solve! But, to be fair. I got my ORIGINAL 750TX 8/19/08!!! So that thing made it through 2 RMA's and 8 years of solid use for the $119.99 it cost me. I guess 8 years latter it has come full circle and I am getting an RM650i for the exact same price (not considering inflation). Can't argue with that!

On 10/20/2016 at 9:19 PM, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

Sweet. Let me know! Thanks. 

Sorry about the delay, had a very busy weekend, so I just tested the Corsair link with my HX1000i and  it works perfectly, It lets me run the PSU cooler at any speeds, it lets you select whatever speed you want in form of percentage.

2 hours ago, IcEWoLF said:

Sorry about the delay, had a very busy weekend, so I just tested the Corsair link with my HX1000i and  it works perfectly, It lets me run the PSU cooler at any speeds, it lets you select whatever speed you want in form of percentage.

Thanks! Yea, I actually just finished installing my RM650i lol. About to look up Link and start messin around!