SanDisk SSD Controller Failure - Recovery Options

Spyagent1000

A few days ago, my SanDisk Ultra II SSD died, I sent it to a friend to take a look at it and he said that it was definitely controller failure and there was nothing that he could do.

I called SanDisk and they are happy to replace it as it is under warranty, but I'd like to get the data recovered (I guess its my turn to learn why you should always have backups) The data recovery place that I called quoted me something in the thousands, which is entirely out of the question as I'm a college student and can't shell out that kind of money. 

Does anyone know of a recovery service or any other option I could take that wouldn't require me to shell out $1000+? Thanks a ton for any info

With a HDD, you might have a chance to replace the PCB with THE EXACT SAME PCB. Not sure how this works with SSD controllers...

11 hours ago, Spyagent1000 said:

~snip~

Hello :)

Recovering data from a failed SSD isn't as simple as from a failed HDD. As you pointed out, this is a great time to start and learn about backups. 

Aside from a data recovery company, any other method may further damage the data inside the SSD if unsuccessful. You may attempt to connect it as a secondary storage drive and see if it pops up somewhere (BIOS, Device Manager, Disk Management) or simply try to access the drive via Linux. 

If none of these work I doubt that swapping hardware parts would be helpful. 

Feel free to contact the manufacturer for any other suggestions.

Ask away if you happen to have questions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

what happens if you float the controller off and clean up the contacts and solder another one on?

16 hours ago, LabRat said:

~snip~

Swapping controllers and boards on storage drives is a very dangerous thing, especially when it comes to SSDs. You could easily lose all data and corrupt the firmware of the SSD itself rendering it completely unusable. Contacting the manufacturer is the best option.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/