Windows 10 File Access Denied

Go to solution Solved by deadaccount69,

Maybe if you used a program to edit the meta data instead of windows explorer? I think that vlc can do it? Make sure the file isn't read only.

So, I'm trying to remove Title info of a movie file I have in the file properties as it's what Emby is reading as the movie name but it's incorrect. When I right click and go to properties>details>remove properties and personal information and then check "Title" and then okay it's prompting that I need administrator permission. So I click "continue" and then it says denied. " You require permission from "my computer username." I checked the permissions and ownership of the file in question and it's my username so I don't know why it's not allowing me to change.

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

Make a copy of the file and try on that instead.

I'll try that. Thanks

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

You can change ownership of the file but it's a bit of a pain

I've already verified the ownership. It's quite simple to change actually. Thanks though.

7 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

Make a copy of the file and try on that instead.

Sadly, this did not work. I get the same error on the copied file. 

2 minutes ago, rcarteraz said:

Sadly, this did not work. I get the same error on the copied file. 

have you tired restarting?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Maybe if you used a program to edit the meta data instead of windows explorer? I think that vlc can do it? Make sure the file isn't read only.

7 minutes ago, rcarteraz said:

More than once

Have you tried moving it to a location that isn't you desktop?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

First and foremost. All you guys should have Hiren's boot CD on USB at hand. It's saved me from so much pain over the years. It's a collection of free bootable and Windows-based programs for all your fixing-shit-needs. Another similar thing is Ultimate boot CD.

What OP needs for this is a program called NTFS access. It's available as a standalone too. Boom! Done.

20 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

That was a good idea but sadly still no. It just reverts back to what's currently set.

12 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Have you tried moving it to a location that isn't you desktop?

It's on an external drive. I moved to C: and still nothing.

11 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

First and foremost. All you guys should have Hiren's boot CD on USB at hand. It's saved me from so much pain over the years. It's a collection of free bootable and Windows-based programs for all your fixing-shit-needs. Another similar thing is Ultimate boot CD.

What OP needs for this is a program called NTFS access. It's available as a standalone too. Boom! Done.

I've already verified the permissions and ownership are correct however for giggles I ran that program anyways but still nothing.

11 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

Also try booting into safe mode. I've had that sort out permission problems before.

I'll try that and see what happens.

Figured out what the issue was. The information in the title field was set when the file was created which means Windows doesn't have a way to edit itself. I ended using mkvtoolkit to fix it. Super simple too. Thanks all for the help. @ryan27968 You were on the right track. Just needed the right tool. Thanks!