Photoshop and 4k Video Edit PC for a friend

Hi there dear ppl of LTT :)
a friend of mine wants to replace his 10y old, better said ancient, laptop which he uses to edit his photos and videos. So far it seemed to work well enough but he upgraded to a sony alpha 600 and is now able to shoot videos in 4k and, as you might thought, the laptop is a bit too old for this..

His budget is about 2k€ (about 2,9k Canadian$/2,2k US$).

The main use will be editing and storing his photos and videos. no gaming, a bit of office but not more.

My thoughts went somewhere around a i7 quad or hexacore paired with 32 to 64gb of ram.

Is a Xeon with ECC an option? Does Photoshop work better with ECC Memory?

This article over at pugetsystems seems to prove that there is no use in using Xeon+ECC.

As a GPU i really have no idea which card is best for rendering. When I hear something with 4k, the first thing popping on my mind is a GTX1080. But, as said, i don't know wether this is good for rendering.
Storage is, in my opinion pretty easy. Midsize SSD as Bootdevice (i like the Samsung 850Series b/c I use one myself and love it) and for mass storage a 2 1TB WD Blue, maybe set up as a Raid1.

PSU: EVGA 650W?

The case needs a front side card reader and usb 3.0 so he can transfer his files easily.

Important for him is a big enough monitor. But my research showed that real 4k displays are still pretty pricy.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/b3zW9W << PCPP :)

with kind regards

pls forgive me for grammer and typos. I'm no native speaker but trying my very best :)

please forgive typos and grammer, I'm not a native speaker! thank you!

Hardware: Microsoft Surface Pro 1|Samsung A3(2017)

13 minutes ago, smulutz said:

Is a Xeon with ECC an option? Does Photoshop work better with ECC Memory?

Wont make a difference for most use. Any program can use ecc, it just reduces errors.

14 minutes ago, smulutz said:

]This article[/url] over at pugetsystems seems to prove that there is no use in using Xeon+ECC.

Ecc is slower, but more reliable. For most people you won't notice, but for mission critical workstations and servers its a must.

For gpu, id go 1060 or 1070, most programs aren't that gpu heavy and are mainly cpu limited.

For storage, id probably get a 1TB ssd and then have a nas or raid 5/6 for archive and do all the editing off the ssd. SSD's are nice.

For cpu, go 6800k if you can

thank you! I've added the 6800k into my part picker list in the first post.

Yo man.

It really depend on the volume that your friend works with. If those Files are work related and the few minutes per/video cost him money I'd go with the 6900k and 32Gb of Ram, along with the GTX 1070, YEAH  i know it's not GPU related but you should elimintate any possible future bottlenecks.

Now if you do these for prosumer use, even the 6700k with O.C @ 4.6Ghz would work with the rest of the specs remaining the same.

About the E.C.C Memory i wouldnt sweat about it, but if possible errors would cost him money then by all means go for it, it doesnt hurt to put them in the system.

Regarding the storage i would go as with an NVMe Drive "Intel 750 Series SSD's" are awesome along with some form of Raid"IMO Raid-6" with either hitachi or seagate 2 or 4 Tb HDD, great V4m. i would stay away from 3Tb cause they are somewhat troublesome in every company.I would go a little all out in one category since we are talking about 2000 Euros PC.

to be honset it is not very heavy duty editing.. mostly, and yes it souds silly but he loves it and it is his hobby, he is prepping them for instagram, facebook and his own little website. Nothing fancy/highly professional.

2 minutes ago, smulutz said:

to be honset it is not very heavy duty editing.. mostly, and yes it souds silly but he loves it and it is his hobby, he is prepping them for instagram, facebook and his own little website. Nothing fancy/highly professional.

Looking at pcpp

Id get a 500w psu, you don't need all that power. Id get a biger ssd, like this one http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/vLCwrH/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhii960gg25

The m.2 ssd you picked is sata, so it won't be super fast like the 950 pro