Help: Tips for keeping Phanteks P400 ambient/GPU temps low

Currently using a Corsair H110i GTX AIO liquid cooler for my 6700K, with the rad set up on the front with 2 SP140 fans pushing in air for intake.

Then I have 2 Corsair AF120 fans exhausting on top of the case and 1 stock case fan exhausting at the back.

My GPU is a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080.

Under load my CPU temps go up to 42-45C while GPU temps go up from 75-80C.

Ambient temperature with AC on is around 23C.

I've been keeping everything running at stock clocks currently until I can figure out what to do about the temps.

Would love to get some help on this.

Thanks!

Might be better to place the rad on top and let it exhaust. All heat from GPU is now blown into system.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Might be better to place the rad on top and let it exhaust. All heat from GPU is now blown into system.

Sadly that isn't an option on this case. Not enough clearance up top for a rad. :c

37 minutes ago, Reskiy said:

Sadly that isn't an option on this case. Not enough clearance up top for a rad. :c

That's just sad for the P400 really.

Such a great case if only you can mount rad up top.

Though 80C on GPU is still okay-ish, tried pushing the fan curve?

At this point, you really need to sacrifice noise for better temps.

51 minutes ago, Ichi said:

That's just sad for the P400 really.

Such a great case if only you can mount rad up top.

Though 80C on GPU is still okay-ish, tried pushing the fan curve?

At this point, you really need to sacrifice noise for better temps.

Yeah, I've tried setting up a custom fan curve and it does help. But the noise is pretty bad. :c

I may get a different case in the future... Was looking at the Enthoo Evolv ATX, but I heard the air flow is also pretty bad on that. Shame. 

Thinking about the Corsair 400C or NZXT S340 too, but they seem too similar to the P400. :c

Noise form the cooler? If recently bought, return it and swap for NZXT Kraken. Better performer and can also run on lower decibel lvls + it's cheaper.

For the Evolve ATX I think it's still decent enough since in a simple test I saw, the temps where overall ok. Anyway teh coolermaster mastercase maker 5 is also a very good case that isn't to noisy, while still good cooling.

Anyway for your prob you could also reverse the airflow in your case and see if that helps (from back to front). Allthough the front might be more obstruction because of panel, think that it should still be good. Atleast you then don't blow the GPU heat into the case since it can then act as exhaust. Sadly it requires you to reverse fans, so there is a bit screwing involved.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Your temps are fine. There's not much more you can do with your current case and I would personally just oc the graphics card without much overvolting. See how far you can oc first with a more aggressive fan curve and you can decide whether or not to change up cooling for lower noise.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, Reskiy said:

Currently using a Corsair H110i GTX AIO liquid cooler for my 6700K, with the rad set up on the front with 2 SP140 fans pushing in air for intake.

Then I have 2 Corsair AF120 fans exhausting on top of the case and 1 stock case fan exhausting at the back.

My GPU is a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080.

Under load my CPU temps go up to 42-45C while GPU temps go up from 75-80C.

Ambient temperature with AC on is around 23C.

I've been keeping everything running at stock clocks currently until I can figure out what to do about the temps.

Would love to get some help on this.

Thanks!

If you are feeling adventurous, you can mod the case to allow for a bottom mount intake fan.  There might be room between the PSU and HDD cages, or just remove the cages.  Having fresh air directly hitting the GPU area will help.

You could also try having the rear fan+rad fans as intakes and the front fans as exhausts.  Might be an interesting test.

3 hours ago, Gonio said:

Noise form the cooler? If recently bought, return it and swap for NZXT Kraken. Better performer and can also run on lower decibel lvls + it's cheaper.

For the Evolve ATX I think it's still decent enough since in a simple test I saw, the temps where overall ok. Anyway teh coolermaster mastercase maker 5 is also a very good case that isn't to noisy, while still good cooling.

Anyway for your prob you could also reverse the airflow in your case and see if that helps (from back to front). Allthough the front might be more obstruction because of panel, think that it should still be good. Atleast you then don't blow the GPU heat into the case since it can then act as exhaust. Sadly it requires you to reverse fans, so there is a bit screwing involved.

Noise from the GPU fans, mostly. The only time the cooler gets loud is if I let the fans run past 1200rpm.
I feel like switching the exhaust to front will end up trapping a lot of hot air within the front panel. :c And I'd rather keep my panel closed at all times.

Thank you for the suggestion though!

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your temps are fine. There's not much more you can do with your current case and I would personally just oc the graphics card without much overvolting. See how far you can oc first with a more aggressive fan curve and you can decide whether or not to change up cooling for lower noise.

Noise really is an issue even with stock clocks on CPU and GPU just to keep the temps this good. I'm afraid what OCing will do. The GPU is definitely the culprit most of the time when it comes to heat.

43 minutes ago, stconquest said:

If you are feeling adventurous, you can mod the case to allow for a bottom mount intake fan.  There might be room between the PSU and HDD cages, or just remove the cages.  Having fresh air directly hitting the GPU area will help.

You could also try having the rear fan+rad fans as intakes and the front fans as exhausts.  Might be an interesting test.

Far too adventurous for me, sadly. I'd rather save up for another case. xD But thank you for the suggestion!

Also same answer for switching intakes and exhaust. :c Afraid heat will end up trapped in front panel as there really is no room for much air to move there.

Right now I feel like getting a case that supports top rad support and will exhaust through there so the front will just take care of fresh air intake. CPU might not run as cool as now, but at least the rest of my components, especially my GPU, will benefit from the intake.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Was wondering if adding another set of 240mm fans on the front rad for push/pull will help with airflow. Any thoughts?

10 hours ago, Reskiy said:

I feel like switching the exhaust to front will end up trapping a lot of hot air within the front panel. :c And I'd rather keep my panel closed at all times.

Maybe, but just try with panel on how it is. It's some work, but it's not a major overhaul. And if it gives the result you want, thats a bonus.

1 hour ago, Reskiy said:

Was wondering if adding another set of 240mm fans on the front rad for push/pull will help with airflow. Any thoughts?

Nope, doens't help the airflow.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

34 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Maybe, but just try with panel on how it is. It's some work, but it's not a major overhaul. And if it gives the result you want, thats a bonus.

Nope, doens't help the airflow.

I guess it's worth a shot. I'm just afraid of the dust build-up more than anything. :(

Also can you explain to me why a push/pull fan setup for intake won't help airflow?

For the dust thats easy: make it pull trough by placing the fans on the outerside of the rad and pull the air trough.

With push/pull all that happens is that it's able to assist eachother to increase pressure. But the airflow after the last fan won't be different had you used only one fan, so there is not more airflow in your case.

Since we are on LTT, I also know a dude that explained this once in a vid. :) Let me check.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Had to dust it of since it's a while ago, but this explains both things perfectly.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

7 hours ago, Reskiy said:

You mean 120mm*

It might help airflow and how much so will depend on how much cooling your current fans are providing. The difference might be small unless you're already running your current fans at very low fan speeds in which case better or more fans can help pick up the slack. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

23 hours ago, Gonio said:

Had to dust it of since it's a while ago, but this explains both things perfectly.

Oh thank you for linking this! My... I miss Linus videos like this. Haha!

22 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You mean 120mm*

It might help airflow and how much so will depend on how much cooling your current fans are providing. The difference might be small unless you're already running your current fans at very low fan speeds in which case better or more fans can help pick up the slack. 

Actually meant 140mm since I have a 280mm rad. xD But yeah, these fans are currently running as fast as they can at 1200rpm with acceptable noise and with the front panel on, the GPU and CPU go up at least 5C vs the front panel taken completely off. 

I may need to invest in a different case for my needs. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Reskiy said:

Oh thank you for linking this! My... I miss Linus videos like this. Haha!

Yeah feel the same. I kinda miss the unboxings aswell. Sure I agree that there is not much new under the sun these days that really jumps out, but some highlights with more actual consumer PC hardware related stuff l would like.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

• 10 months later...

I have the same case and have Corsair AIO coolers on my 7600K and my 980ti with front mounted rads running push pull config. All stock setups with the front cover on and dust screens installed my gpu runs at 65C playing overwatch ( I know the temps are ok I'm just a cooling enthusiast). Simply removing the front cover drops my temps to 47C. That being the case I'm considering machining my front panel to have some long slits with a dust screen behind. With all the fans maxed out it will run as low as 41C with no front panel. That is the main issue with the p400 airflow. 

IMG_1865.JPG