Installing Pinguy OS Issue

Hi, ive installed Pinguy OS onto my PC, when i try it first its fine but when i install it says about an unsafe swap space. I ran 'swapoff --a' command, and it fixes the issue and allowed me to proceed with the encrypted install.  Once the installation has finished i restart the system which then does not boot into the Pinguy OS.  I get the OS loading screen, I select Pinguy and then nothing.  I dont think it matters but the system is I74790K MSI Gaming 5 Motherboard 16gb DDR3 2200 MHZ GTX980ti and im installing on a 256gb crucial ssd. TIA

1 hour ago, johnmhigh said:

Hi, ive installed Pinguy OS onto my PC, when i try it first its fine but when i install it says about an unsafe swap space. I ran 'swapoff --a' command, and it fixes the issue and allowed me to proceed with the encrypted install.  Once the installation has finished i restart the system which then does not boot into the Pinguy OS.  I get the OS loading screen, I select Pinguy and then nothing.  I dont think it matters but the system is I74790K MSI Gaming 5 Motherboard 16gb DDR3 2200 MHZ GTX980ti and im installing on a 256gb crucial ssd. TIA

Sounds like there maybe a problem with the /etc/fstab configuration, use a distro which will allow you to chroot into your system and check it.

Additionally run 'swapoff -all' before the installer starts, if the partitoner has tried to build it with swap it could put it off.

Also can you get to a tty via using Ctrl + Alt + F2? it may help from a diagnostic perspective.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Sorted now, i found a guide and selected something else on the install option and did the partitions manually and it works now, however my faced with new problams.

posted this to the Pinguy forums but all the threads have hundreds of views and not many replies so might as well pose here too

OK, so ive got a new install or Pinguy (never really used Linux before) but ive ran into a few problems. now im sure some, or all, of the things im having problams are simple fixes but like i said, i dont have any experience with Linux really.

So first off, the readout thing on the desktop on the right had side, its only giving my my system usage info and processing that are running nothing else, do i need to set this up?

Second is a problem im having with steam, i have most of my games on other drives, when i try and add the folders it just says "new steam libary folder must be on a filesystem mounted with execute permissions"

Third is i have a Corsair K40 keyboard and a R.A.T 3 mouse. i cant change the backlight on the keyboard, the media keys work fine tho. As for the mouse it works for awhile then i cant click anything, swapped out for a old "basic" mouse and that works fine.

Fourth is that im using a 4K monitor but have to set it to 1080 as i cant find the scaling options.

I do realise that these problems are probably easy solves for most of you but im still getting to grips with Pinguy atm.

TIA

For the Steam problem first check if the steamapps folder is in all lowercase. If not rename it to all lowercase. For linux there is a difference between Foo, foo, and FOO. If that did not fix it you will most probably have to change your /etc/fstab. By default on Linux extra drives are usually mounted with execution forbidden, for security reasons, but that depends on the distro. Open /etc/fstab with your file editor of choice as root (with sudo) and find the line of the other partitions. Append a comma and 'exec' at the end of the option column, that should do the trick. For more info on fstab check the arch wiki (and save the link while at it, the amount of info in the wiki is ridiculously high and probably will serve you well): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab

For the monitor should be easy, but I would have to refresh x.org config files and how they worked. They are plain text and dead simple, but since it has been ages I don't recall the specifics. Which driver graphics do you use?