No Signal but PC Turns on

AlisterM

Solved:

Board Was Dead, Received New One And It Works Brilliantly. 

Hi all, 

Built  my PC last night, but after over 15 hours of troubleshooting I have come to nothing.

Specs:

i7 5820k

Asrock Extreme4 x99

4x8gb crucial ballistix sport LT RAM

Bequiet! powerzone 650w

Bequiet! dark rock pro

ASUS GTX 970

2tb wd blue hdd

500gb toshiba hdd 

500gb Samsung 850 evo

Noctua AF 140mm

Nzxt h440 with case fans

The problem:

PC turns on and all fans spin, light on GPU comes on too, no output to monitor whatsoever.

What I've tried: 

Have tried several monitors, I've tried re-seating RAM, re-seating CPU, re-seating GPU. Nothing. Have tried my GPU in my old AMD build, and it works fine. Have disconnected motherboard power and reconnected, nothing. Have removed all sata, nothing. And yes, everything is plugged in.

What the hell is going on? I can't exactly swap out components as you all know how expensive the x99 platform is. 

Can anybody help?

PC Specs: 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K  GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (FE)  Motherboard: ASRock x99 Extreme4  PSU: Bequiet! Powerzone 650W  RAM:  32Gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (white) 2400mhz  CPU Cooler: Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, 1x WD Blue 2tb HDD 5400rpm, 1x Toshiba 500gb HDD  Case: NZXT H440 (matte black w/ case fans)  Case Fan (Top Mounted): Notcua AF-14 144mm  LED Lights: TOP LED 2x30 Strips

Peripherals:

Speakers: M-AUDIO AV-42 (pair)  Headphones: AudioTechnica ATH-M20X,  Keyboard: AULA 859  Mouse: Tecknet  Microphone: RODE NT1-A  Audio Interface: ZOOM R8  

Camera Specs:

Cameras: BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Canon 4000, Olympus OM-1, Zorki 4  Lenses: Olympus OM-1 Zuiko Macro, Regular and Telephoto, EFS 18mm-55mm, MFT 12mm, 25mm and 35mm, 50mm Jupiter 8, 50mm EFS

Software:

Editing: BlackMagic Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Cubase LE AI Elements 6, Adobe Elements

Phone: Pixel 4

Other troubleshooting steps: Try all the video outputs on the GPU, try different cables, try the built in graphics if applicable, confirm your monitor is on the correct input source, try the cables you're using on another computer, (if there isn't already) connect a speaker to the motherboard and confirm you are hearing a POST beep.  Best I got, I'm no expert...

Just now, EricSartor said:

Other troubleshooting steps: Try all the video outputs on the GPU, try different cables, try the built in graphics if applicable, confirm your monitor is on the correct input source, try the cables you're using on another computer, (if there isn't already) connect a speaker to the motherboard and confirm you are hearing a POST beep.  Best I got, I'm no expert...

Have tried all of the above, haven't got a speaker unfortunately. 

PC Specs: 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K  GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3070 (FE)  Motherboard: ASRock x99 Extreme4  PSU: Bequiet! Powerzone 650W  RAM:  32Gb DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (white) 2400mhz  CPU Cooler: Bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD, 1x WD Blue 2tb HDD 5400rpm, 1x Toshiba 500gb HDD  Case: NZXT H440 (matte black w/ case fans)  Case Fan (Top Mounted): Notcua AF-14 144mm  LED Lights: TOP LED 2x30 Strips

Peripherals:

Speakers: M-AUDIO AV-42 (pair)  Headphones: AudioTechnica ATH-M20X,  Keyboard: AULA 859  Mouse: Tecknet  Microphone: RODE NT1-A  Audio Interface: ZOOM R8  

Camera Specs:

Cameras: BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Canon 4000, Olympus OM-1, Zorki 4  Lenses: Olympus OM-1 Zuiko Macro, Regular and Telephoto, EFS 18mm-55mm, MFT 12mm, 25mm and 35mm, 50mm Jupiter 8, 50mm EFS

Software:

Editing: BlackMagic Davinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Cubase LE AI Elements 6, Adobe Elements

1 minute ago, AlisterMultimedia said:

Have tried all of the above, haven't got a speaker unfortunately. 

Assuming it is POSTing and all your cables, monitors and GPU have been confirmed working...in my uneducated opinion, it seems like there may be an issue with the connection between the GPU and motherboard.  Do you have onboard video/what was the outcome of that?  Do you have another video card you can try with this motherboard?

Assuming it is POSTing and all your cables, monitors and GPU have been confirmed working...in my uneducated opinion, it seems like there may be an issue with the connection between the GPU and motherboard.  Do you have onboard video/what was the outcome of that?  Do you have another video card you can try with this motherboard?

5820k does not have on-board graphics. Have tried all PCIE slots, and the same happens. 

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

Just now, AlisterMultimedia said:

5820k does not have on-board graphics. Have tried all PCIE slots, and the same happens. 

Welp, I've offered all I can...sorry...good luck!

Welp, I've offered all I can...sorry...good luck!

Thanks for your input nonetheless, i'll need it. 

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

Anyone else have a clue?

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

The few suggestions that popped up in my head were already mentioned or you already tried. It seems to me like your motherboard could be faulty, but maybe try to get a hold of some speakers to see if your system is in fact POSTing?

On 11/10/2016 at 0:43 AM, Masternji said:

Try the cpu on your old motherboard and see if it powers on

Try my INTEL CPU, on my AMD build? Are you crazy?!?! 

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

On 11/10/2016 at 0:31 AM, jdubs said:

The few suggestions that popped up in my head were already mentioned or you already tried. It seems to me like your motherboard could be faulty, but maybe try to get a hold of some speakers to see if your system is in fact POSTing?

I got hold of speakers and no beep 

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

51 minutes ago, AlisterMultimedia said:

Try my INTEL CPU, on my AMD build? Are you crazy?!?! 

Do you have any other motherboards you can try it on?, it may be the cpu that's the problem.

Silly question but do you have the power cables plugged into the video card? I'm not trying to insult you but sometimes they are hard to plug in. Video card should go into the first slot........

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Don't worry guys, my replacement board came today. And my computer is all up and running and working like a charm. The motherboard was dead.

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

10 hours ago, zanthros said:

Silly question but do you have the power cables plugged into the video card? I'm not trying to insult you but sometimes they are hard to plug in. Video card should go into the first slot........

Well obviously. 

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

Although it was obvious to you as you are there looking at your non functioning build, I am not there to see that it was plugged in and you did not state that the specific power cable for the card was connected in the post ( As the phrase "Everything is plugged it") does not specifically deal with the cable for the video card and those that have done a lot of builds know that sometimes people forget things as we are only human . Well obviously you need no help with this as you seem to have a handle on this. Just a thought, going forward you might want to bench build a system before you put in in a case, as it is a lot easier to troubleshoot and you can verify everything works properly. The pro's do this step out of habit because they do not want to wind up where you are at...... pulling stuff out of the case and swapping out for testing.... Just a thought.

Cheers!

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

On 10/10/2016 at 4:19 AM, AlisterMultimedia said:

Hi all, 

Built  my PC last night, but after over 15 hours of troubleshooting I have come to nothing.

Specs:

i7 5820k

Asrock Extreme4 x99

4x8gb crucial ballistix sport LT RAM

Bequiet! powerzone 650w

Bequiet! dark rock pro

ASUS GTX 970

2tb wd blue hdd

500gb toshiba hdd 

500gb Samsung 850 evo

Noctua AF 140mm

Nzxt h440 with case fans

The problem:

PC turns on and all fans spin, light on GPU comes on too, no output to monitor whatsoever.

What I've tried: 

Have tried several monitors, I've tried re-seating RAM, re-seating CPU, re-seating GPU. Nothing. Have tried my GPU in my old AMD build, and it works fine. Have disconnected motherboard power and reconnected, nothing. Have removed all sata, nothing. And yes, everything is plugged in.

What the hell is going on? I can't exactly swap out components as you all know how expensive the x99 platform is. 

Can anybody help?

Boot and install windows with the monitor plugged into the Motherboard. Then, plug in the GPU and see if it works. I saw someone on youtube who had the same issue.

i like trains 🙂

15 hours ago, zanthros said:

Although it was obvious to you as you are there looking at your non functioning build, I am not there to see that it was plugged in and you did not state that the specific power cable for the card was connected in the post ( As the phrase "Everything is plugged it") does not specifically deal with the cable for the video card and those that have done a lot of builds know that sometimes people forget things as we are only human . Well obviously you need no help with this as you seem to have a handle on this. Just a thought, going forward you might want to bench build a system before you put in in a case, as it is a lot easier to troubleshoot and you can verify everything works properly. The pro's do this step out of habit because they do not want to wind up where you are at...... pulling stuff out of the case and swapping out for testing.... Just a thought.

Cheers!

I bread-benched it and it did not even reach my case whatsoever. 

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

7 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

Boot and install windows with the monitor plugged into the Motherboard. Then, plug in the GPU and see if it works. I saw someone on youtube who had the same issue.

5820k does not have on-board graphics.

PC Specs: 

Peripherals:

Camera Specs:

Software:

58 minutes ago, AlisterMultimedia said:

Oh

i like trains 🙂

1 hour ago, AlisterMultimedia said:

I bread-benched it and it did not even reach my case whatsoever. 

Just another detail that was left out. One could not gather this from your post as you did not mention that you were bench building it AND you listed the case on the build. Sometimes the devil is in the details. I am glad that you were able to diagnose your problem with the build and equally amazed that you were able to get such a high end board so fast. It is a considerable amount of money to have sitting on the shelf for a local computer shop. Glad you were able to figure it out and get it up and running.

Cheers!