I7 6700k 80%+ usage in division , gta v , etc.

Dementedpea

Hello , I am in a bit of a problem. I recently purchased i7 6700k , g.skill ripjaws 8gb ddr4 ram , and Asus pro gaming motherboard. Before this , I was running FX 8320 , and my gpu is r9 390x with 620watt psu. I was hoping to see a good amount of improvement but I only received a little. While playing the above games , I noticed that my CPU loads are huge whereas my gpu loads are not even 90%+ , I though with a CPU this good the gpu loads should be atleast 95%+. I watched some vids of division where people were having the same result and the rest of them had 99-100% gpu usage with low CPU loads. I tried multiple solutions like setting priority to low/high , messing with affinity , but nothing happened. I updated every driver expect the OS , I havnt re-installed it(should I?). Is the hardware's faulty or is the software not functioning properly? The only game I have which have 100% gpu loads is ME: Shadow of mordor , runs flawlessly.

Is there any with the same specs facing similar situation?

5 minutes ago, Dementedpea said:

Hello , I am in a bit of a problem. I recently purchased i7 6700k , g.skill ripjaws 8gb ddr4 ram , and Asus pro gaming motherboard. Before this , I was running FX 8320 , and my gpu is r9 390x with 620watt psu. I was hoping to see a good amount of improvement but I only received a little. While playing the above games , I noticed that my CPU loads are huge whereas my gpu loads are not even 90%+ , I though with a CPU this good the gpu loads should be atleast 95%+. I watched some vids of division where people were having the same result and the rest of them had 99-100% gpu usage with low CPU loads. I tried multiple solutions like setting priority to low/high , messing with affinity , but nothing happened. I updated every driver expect the OS , I havnt re-installed it(should I?). Is the hardware's faulty or is the software not functioning properly? The only game I have which have 100% gpu loads is ME: Shadow of mordor , runs flawlessly.

What framerates are you getting? Do they match the ones from reviews of the R9 390X at your settings and resolution?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

what are your settings at. because the lower the settings the more frames the cpu can prepare which means more stress on the cpu. with higher settings the cpu takes longer to prepare the frames so it uses less and has a lower fps.

Main Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6GHz, Stock Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350 F Gaming motherboard

RAM: 32GB(4x8GB) Team T-FORCE Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz DDR4

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4070ti 12GB

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

CASE: Montech King 95 Pro

PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1000W

Monitor: Samsung Oddessy G6 27" 1440p, Viewsonic VX2455 144Hz

Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse

Keyboard: ASUS Flare II Animate

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha S Black

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast S

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC55BT

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnno12/saved/gKgD23

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

CPU: i5-8250U Quadcore with hypertheading

GPU: AMD Radeon 540 4GB Hybrid Graphics

Storage: Micron 1100 SATA 256GB SSD

4 hours ago, Energycore said:

What framerates are you getting? Do they match the ones from reviews of the R9 390X at your settings and resolution?

My fps vary from 35-55 , on high settings 1920x1080p. There are not a lot of videos I can find of i7 6700k and r9 390x , few had at least stable 50-60+ fps on high with 100% gpu loads.

4 hours ago, Kumaresh said:

Try wiping your graphics drivers with DDU and reinstalling them.

I done that but no changes.

4 hours ago, DaMainMan said:

What are your temps? Thermal throttling?

My Cpu temps are around 50-60 C while playing.

6 minutes ago, Dementedpea said:

My Cpu temps are around 50-60 C while playing.

Have you considered the RAM usage? I hit 7,5gb all the time when gaming in 1080p... maybe its time for an upgrade in that department.

16 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

Have you considered the RAM usage? I hit 7,5gb all the time when gaming in 1080p... maybe its time for an upgrade in that department.

okay let me check the ram usage. One more thing , I have a single stick of 8gb ddr4 ram. Could it be ram's fault? I heard 2 sticks of 4gb ram increases performance than 1 stick of 8gb ram.

I personally think the RAM is the limiting factor on your build - everything else checks out. I would just buy a second 8gb stick - its not a huge investment and will future proof your build.

1 hour ago, Dementedpea said:

okay let me check the ram usage. One more thing , I have a single stick of 8gb ddr4 ram. Could it be ram's fault? I heard 2 sticks of 4gb ram increases performance than 1 stick of 8gb ram.

Single stick dont give you dual channelling and 8gb isnt realy enough. Go with 2 x 8gb sticks.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Ordered Another stick of ram , But I still dont think it will clear the bottleneck :/ Should I RMA the processor? I am really depressed -_- , anyways here is the ram usage screenshot.

div4.png

38 minutes ago, Dementedpea said:

Ordered Another stick of ram , But I still dont think it will clear the bottleneck :/ Should I RMA the processor? I am really depressed -_- , anyways here is the ram usage screenshot.

div4.png

1. The 6700k is the best gaming cpu you can have atm.

2. Sure vsync isnt on?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

47 minutes ago, Dementedpea said:

Your framerate is 59.8 FPS, which looks to me like maybe you have a 60 FPS cap/Vsync in place. If the GPU would produce 70+ FPS at 100% load, capping it at 60 means you see a lower usage percentage. In that case, you're "bottlenecked" by your framerate cap.

7 hours ago, Dementedpea said:

I though with a CPU this good the gpu loads should be atleast 95%+.

You cannot determine if a CPU bottleneck will happen just by looking at two pieces of hardware. It depends on the game, the framerate you want to reach, your settings, and so forth. Certain games will run with a CPU bottleneck most of the time just because that's how they were made, and there are others that are happy as long as you have any relatively modern dual-core and will still be GPU-bound.

Your CPU is basically the best available for gaming, though.

Shouldn't be the ram because I ran on 4gb with a 980tinfor a few weeks and in game everything was fine gpu still at 99 percent usage 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Okay  , So guys I re-installed the windows and this time I ran multiple games with 2 sticks of 8gb ram. The results were GREAT! Gpu loads were 100-99% all the time. Fps were stable and stayed 60-80+ most of the time. Not sure if it was the windows fault or the ram's. I will test again with 1 stick of RAM tomorrow. Thank you all for your suggestions and support , You guys Rock! 

6 hours ago, Praesi said:

1. The 6700k is the best gaming cpu you can have atm.

2. Sure vsync isnt on?

Vsync was off

9 minutes ago, Dementedpea said:

Okay  , So guys I re-installed the windows and this time I ran multiple games with 2 sticks of 8gb ram. The results were GREAT! Gpu loads were 100-99% all the time. Fps were stable and stayed 60-80+ most of the time. Not sure if it was the windows fault or the ram's. I will test again with 1 stick of RAM tomorrow. Thank you all for your suggestions and support , You guys Rock! 

Happy fragging. But next Time use DDU before reinstall Windows.