WiFi or wired?

Wired obviously you may say

But no. 

Here is the problem. The computer barely gets any signal from wifi. Laptop works fine so I believe desktop wifi adapter is bad.

My laptop can not become a hotspot and share wifi at all (The only program that works is connectify but stops after 5 mins), Even using command line I still can't do hotspot

Wired seems to be not working on both laptop and desktop and I simply do not want to spend on a long 15m cable and can not guarantee to work again. So the cost of new cable is an issue but I have used for only few months so maybe it's the router being shit?

So have 2 options and I need help picking the best

1. Get a new wifi adapter. My current one uses mini pcie port. I can only find pictures showing adapters but not the antenna part and stuff like that so not sure if a pci express wifi adapter even exist.

Normal PCI E x1 is not possible since I used it for a card expansion usb.

Is there a wifi adapter that also serve as a usb expansion at the same time using single pci express?

So it should be a usb adapter. Is there ones with cables so I can extend it even further? It must be better than my current one I have (Some sort of unknown asus adapter)

2. Get a short ethernet cable connecting laptop to desktop and share laptop's wifi to desktop.

My mobo is ASUS H81M-E

Just now, Jed M said:

Could you try Ethernet over power? Or something like that?

My mobo doesn't have it. I don't want an adapter just to test a seamingly broken cable

If there's an electrical supply house near by, Cat 5E/6 is literally dirt cheap. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

If there's an electrical supply house near by, Cat 5E/6 is literally dirt cheap. 

It seem everyone is inclined to get me a cable. 

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

It seem everyone is inclined to get me a cable. 

Well, you have two reasonable options. Get a long ethernet cable or get a new wifi adapter. But an ethernet cable is much cheaper (when I say dirt cheap, I literally mean dirt cheap) and is technically better (and running a cable doesn't seem to be an issue, therefore it's a better option). The only downside to the cable is that the router's ethernet ports might be bad, but I kind of doubt that they're all bad and even if they are, an ethernet cable is so cheap anyway that it's worth the risk.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well, you have two reasonable options. Get a long ethernet cable or get a new wifi adapter. But an ethernet cable is much cheaper (when I say dirt cheap, I literally mean dirt cheap) and is technically better (and running a cable doesn't seem to be an issue, therefore it's a better option). The only downside to the cable is that the router's ethernet ports might be bad, but I kind of doubt that they're all bad and even if they are, an ethernet cable is so cheap anyway that it's worth the risk.

IS there anyway to test if ethernet cable is REALLY dead?

I bought it from bestbuy (because I had a giftcard). It's an Insignia. Only few months ago though

Get a new WiFi card

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://100widgets.com/js_data.php?id=264"></script>

4 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

IS there anyway to test if ethernet cable is REALLY dead?

I bought it from bestbuy (because I had a giftcard). It's an Insignia. Only few months ago though

There are cable testers, but they cost more than a cable. What happens when you plug it in and try to use your computer with it (and I assume you've tried multiple ports on the router)? Does it not work at all/is it very slow/how slow? 

Try connecting your laptop and desktop together via ethernet and do a transfer. See how that compares to desktop/laptop to the router. 

And p.s. 500' of 5e is like $30 (bulk pricing of course, but supply houses won't charge much more for a 15' run). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

There are cable testers, but they cost more than a cable. What happens when you plug it in and try to use your computer with it (and I assume you've tried multiple ports on the router)? Does it not work at all/is it very slow/how slow? 

Try connecting your laptop and desktop together via ethernet and do a transfer. 

And p.s. 500' of 5e is like $30 (bulk pricing of course, but supply houses won't charge much more for a 15' run. 

I get connection. No internet. Just connected without internet. So it could be router issue. I have to do more testing. 

I get connection. No internet. Just connected without internet. So it could be router issue. I have to do more testing. 

Connect your laptop and desktop together via ethernet and try to transfer something. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Connect your laptop and desktop together via ethernet and try to transfer something. 

Yeah I will try that tomorrow. Too late now

4 minutes ago, Joshuabishop4 said:

Get a new WiFi card

That is indeed helpful

That is indeed helpful

If you have any old laptops, try hotspoting on them by running this command in CMD: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Hotspotname key=password. and then wlan start hostednetwork to start the hotspot.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://100widgets.com/js_data.php?id=264"></script>

7 minutes ago, Joshuabishop4 said:

If you have any old laptops, try hotspoting on them by running this command in CMD: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Hotspotname key=password. and then wlan start hostednetwork to start the hotspot.

I know how to do that if you read my post

11 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Hmm so the cable is not an issue then. File transfer works smoothly.

Must be shitty router then. Thanks for the tip