Win 10 won't finish install anymore

amvoith

Hello all,

TL;DR - Windows 10 install randomly stops on PC after reformatting SSD. All the details below:

So I've been using WIndows 10 x64 for about a year now. Recently I attempted to install the anniversary update which failed multiple times and my OS was reverted to the previous build. I was away from home for the past few weeks and when I came back the update had tried to install again (failed) and now it was stuck in an infinite loading screen of trying to revert to the previous build. 

So after attempting to resolve this issue to no success I decided to re-format my drive and do a clean install of Win 10. Downloaded the media from Windows website, used Rufus to create a bootable GPT partition for UEFI. However the problem I'm running into is that the installation will stop randomly at the "getting files ready for installation" step. After several attempts it seems random as to which percentage the installation will stop at. Sometimes its like 85%, 66%, 2% etc.. never at the same point. 

I know it's not a faulty SSD because I put the SSD in another computer and the installation completed quickly and successfully. And I know its not the installation media as I used it to install Windows on my Brother's computer yesterday. I've never had any problems using this hardware configuration in the past year (and I've installed Windows multiple times on this hardware).

So my question is has anyone else experienced this problem or have any suggestions? One that pops to mind would be downloading the build of Windows that I know was working before and trying that install?

Specs are:

EVGA Z97 Stinger

Samsung 850 Pro 128GB SSD

EVGA 980ti SC+

Silverstone SSG600 PSU

Thanks in advance!

CPU Intel Core i7 4790K Motherboard EVGA Z97 Stinger Core-3D GPU EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ Storage 128 GB Samsung 850 Pro, 512 GB Samsung 850 EVO, 750GB HDD PSU Silverstone SX600-G Case Dan Cases A4-SFX v1 Cooling Custom Loop Monitor Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p), ASUS 1080p Keyboard TADA68 Mouse Logitech G502 Build Log Link

I'll double check that I cleared the OC. I know I reset CMOS. 

CPU Intel Core i7 4790K Motherboard EVGA Z97 Stinger Core-3D GPU EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ Storage 128 GB Samsung 850 Pro, 512 GB Samsung 850 EVO, 750GB HDD PSU Silverstone SX600-G Case Dan Cases A4-SFX v1 Cooling Custom Loop Monitor Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p), ASUS 1080p Keyboard TADA68 Mouse Logitech G502 Build Log Link

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if you have OCed the CPU, return to factory defaults

also, check RAM with memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

I'll double check that I cleared the OC. I know I reset CMOS. 

No idea what the problem was... I ended up using an older build of windows 10 and it installed no problem.