Build check before I pull the trigger

22 minutes ago, Randomsteve said:

snip

I have changed build a little. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cz3pKZ

replies to your opinion:

1. I got dark rock pro because it's one of the best cooler, but since you are not gonna overclock a lot Cryorig h7 should be fine. I doubt if h5 is better than h7. I added fans for little bit more cooling performance.

2. It's a good mobo :D

3. In my opinion. m.2 ssd is much better than 2.5 ssd. It's more convenient to install, and m.2 socket(32gb/s) is faster than sata 3 socket(10gb/s), which sandisk m.2 drive can perform better than samsung 850 evo.

4. I picked phanteks case because it was cheaper than define r5, but if you prefer r5 more, then sure why not r5?

10 minutes ago, Randomsteve said:

Any M.2 PCIE SSDs priced around the $150 range yet?

The Intel 600p Series ($180 for the 512GB) is a newly released low cost NVMe but I haven't seen any mainstream review sites recommend it yet.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-256GB-Full-Review-Low-Cost-M2-NVMe/Conclusion-Pricing-and-Fina

PROS

Good overall performance.
Excellent cost/GB for an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.
CONS

Inconsistent / stuttery performance while operating with a full write cache.

I'd say just stick to the EVO.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

14 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

3. In my opinion. m.2 ssd is much better than 2.5 ssd. It's more convenient to install, and m.2 socket(32gb/s) is faster than sata 3 socket(10gb/s), which sandisk m.2 drive can perform better than samsung 850 evo.

You're right about convenience as it doesn't need SATA and power cable, you just directly plug it into the motherboard. But just because M.2 socket allows for faster speeds doesn't mean the M.2 version of the Sandisk X400 will be faster.

NVMe SSD's are the much faster ones but they're also much more expensive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3wda0c/m2_vs_sata_ssd_is_the_improvement_worth_the_money/

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

1 minute ago, antisleep said:

snip

rewritten*

3. m.2 ssd is more convenient, cheaper, and nearly fast as 850 evo.

29 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

I have changed build a little. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cz3pKZ

replies to your opinion:

1. I got dark rock pro because it's one of the best cooler, but since you are not gonna overclock a lot Cryorig h7 should be fine. I doubt if h5 is better than h7. I added fans for little bit more cooling performance.

2. It's a good mobo :D

4. I picked phanteks case because it was cheaper than define r5, but if you prefer r5 more, then sure why not r5?

H7, H5 Cooler doesn't look like it makes a huge difference to me. I do like that the H5 has an extra heat pipe, a bigger fan for lower noise and higher airflow and the H5 looks pretty freakin sweat (Not that I am really a looks guy). 

Dang it man, too many Motherboard choices and I am definitely not Motherboard literate enough to really tell the difference between them all. I do know that Asus z170-e is like 30 bucks cheaper then that Gigabyte board. Pretty big difference in my opinion but I just don't know enough to say which one I should be getting. 

That is true that installing the M.2 is much easier but I just don't know. 1 the samsung 850 Evos seem to be held in such high regard that it seems like a good choice, and second this will be my only computer with an M.2 plug on the MoBo and if I ever want/need to swap SSDs around to my other rigs it just seems that the 850 will make that so much easier. Idk its a toss up for honestly.

Yeah I like that Phanteks case and its price but I just can't seem to get away from how much I like the R5

39 minutes ago, antisleep said:

The Intel 600p Series ($180 for the 512GB) is a newly released low cost NVMe but I haven't seen any mainstream review sites recommend it yet.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-256GB-Full-Review-Low-Cost-M2-NVMe/Conclusion-Pricing-and-Fina

I'd say just stick to the EVO.

Well its good to see prices are starting to come down on those higher speed cards, maybe in a few years when I want more SSD storage I can grab one of those for my M.2 slot

6 hours ago, Randomsteve said:

Dang it man, too many Motherboard choices and I am definitely not Motherboard literate enough to really tell the difference between them all. I do know that Asus z170-e is like 30 bucks cheaper then that Gigabyte board. Pretty big difference in my opinion but I just don't know enough to say which one I should be getting. 

The Asus Z170-E is a cut down version of the Z170-A with several less features and just ~$20 difference. I wouldn't even consider it since you're already choosing between 2 far better boards.

15 hours ago, Randomsteve said:

Eh thats my bad sorry about that. Was in a bit of a rush leaving the house when I wrote up the Orignal post and honestly I didn't think I'd get much of a response so I didn't go into to much detail. Should have known that Linustechtips would be better then other forums. Oh well, live and learn.

That makes sense about the M.2 cards. Still wrapping my head around all this new storage tech now days. Any M.2 PCIE SSDs priced around the $150 range yet?

The one I recommend that is around that price is the 256gb and its 180$ - This is m.2 uses the PCIE lanes not the STAT lanes.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FdDzK8/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzv5p256bw

9 hours ago, antisleep said:

The Asus Z170-E is a cut down version of the Z170-A with several less features and just ~$20 difference. I wouldn't even consider it since you're already choosing between 2 far better boards.

Not that i don't trust your judgment on this situation but why pay $20 more for the "newer"  board when we all know that newer doesn't always mean better. When you say the $20 extra for the - a board is worth it i believe you but would like to know exactly why that is. Always looking to learn more so choices in the future become easier to make. 

Motherboards are definitely something i need to brush up on.  It is easy to look at what headers and io ports each board has and make a comparison based on that but what else should i be looking for? 

Comparing the - E to the - A boards the only real difference in on board plugs i could are as follows:

the 2 extra fan headers, extra on board video capability, an ancient pci slot,  and a usb 3.1 type a,

Those are the differences i could find and its not much in my opinion.

2 extra fan headers are useless if im going to get a fan controller. 

Extra integrated graphics support also seems useless if im getting a r9 290x

What even uses PCI slots now days? 

I don't even know what a usb 3.1 type a port is. 

So what did i miss? Are those the only reasons to pay $20 more for the - A over the - E?  Haven't had a chance to compare the Gigabyte board in detail yet but it seems fairly similar at first glance as well. 

-The Z170-A has more video input support and can support up to 3 seperate monitors using integrated graphics

-The Z170-A can support a larger amount of graphics cards simultaneously, NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology as well as AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™ Technology. The Z170-E is limited to 2 way SLI and Crossfire. 

-The Z170-A has 1 extra legacy PCI lane

-The Z170-A has slightly better in-built audio

-The Z170-A has both USB 3.1 A & C connections, the Z170-E only has USB 3.1 C.

Both will perform very similarly, but if within a close price range the Z170-A is the better board.

Better to have these features and not need them than vice versa.

It (Z170-E) wouldn't be a great overclocker, because it only has a 4-phase power design, but some mild overclocks should be ok.

(Z170-A has 8-phase)

>Z170-A has sizable VRM heatsinks thus better at dissipating heat when overclocking, the sleek aesthetics is just a bonus.

You have ~$1400 budget, I don't really think the ~$20 difference is too much.

It is true that its better to have them and not need them. I can pretty safely say I will never 4 way SLI (odds are I wont even 2way tbh), and I don't own anything PCI compatable, nor anything with the new usb 3.1 plugs but yeah that could change in the future.

What I am most interested in is the aforementioned 8-phase power design, that over the 4-phase the Z170-E has as well as the bigger VRM heatsinks. That alone makes it worth while for me.

You are very right that $20 isn't going to break the bank when I already am nearing the $1400 mark but I have always be of the frame of mind that you don't spend more money then you need to, dollars saved now can easily end up as hundreds if not thousands later. Thanks for pointing out those differences though.

I hadn't noticed the Power design difference when looking through the 2 boards specs, is that (Along with the VRM heatsink size) something I should be able to find on a site like newegg or do I need to go the manufacturers or a tech reviews site to find those specifics? 

23 minutes ago, Randomsteve said:

I hadn't noticed the Power design difference when looking through the 2 boards specs, is that (Along with the VRM heatsink size) something I should be able to find on a site like newegg or do I need to go the manufacturers or a tech reviews site to find those specifics?

Newegg does a good job showing the features and specifications but I'd go directly to the manufacturer site to look up the complete details. The VRM heatsink, you'll be able to tell just by looking at the pictures.

I learned about the power power design from SR-71 Blackbird over at TomsHardware, man knows a lot of pc related shit:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3111853/asus-z170-overclock-stably.html

Awesome well you have all been super cool and a great help. Gonna be a couple of days before I can start ordering parts but I feel much better about each part I am going to be ordering and am now very confident that this will be a pretty rockin computer once put together. 

I've been tasked by the company I work for to build 2 office computers and I've got a pretty good idea of where I want to start but with how awesome this thread has been maybe I'll open up a new one and see what you guys have to say about that. Thanks again! :D 

Edit: Oh and I'll post my final build link and mark this as solved once I get everything ordered just in case something changes in the mean time.

Thanks for all the +rep, they're very much appreciated.

21 hours ago, antisleep said:

>6700K, 3000Mhz ram with H170 board. *facepalm*

Stop trying to make H170 happen.

Sure. The Gigabyte is also just recently released and a more premium mobo than the Asus.

Haha, im just speaking the truth about the chipsets. As I do agree since its relatively new and of course not the best option, if one was to go down that road it would not be horrible as in it does work if you get the correct mobo.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2016 at 4:35 PM, Randomsteve said:

I don't even know what a usb 3.1 type a port is.

Just a USB port with faster read/write capabilities. But if you don't have anything that can really benefit from it, then there's no point in paying a premium for it if you're not going to use it

"Better to be bad at video games than mad at video games" - BadAtVideogamesMan