Cursor becomes a dotted line?

Go to solution Solved by lutzee,

*Looks at specs* *sees amd graphics card*

Question, do you have dual screens?

My guess is yes, and the dots appear when the mouse swaps screens, I've reproduced this on my PC (when in windows) across multiple installs of windows, and on friends PCs also running AMD graphics cards,

I looked into it briefly and found no solutions, and i just put up with it.

Not much I can say but live with it (seems to be less common when moving the mouse across windows slower)

Hi everyone,

So lately my cursor has been acting funny and turning into a dotted line occasionally (it has happened about 10-15 times and twice of which were in games). 

The mouse I am using is a legacy Razer Mamba and I have already installed the latest drivers etc. 

I didn't really know where to put this topic as I don't know what the issue is with. I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is with my system. 

My system is http://pcpartpicker.com/user/chunksoflemon/saved/2dBX

Any help would be appreciated. 

thanks, 

Gabe

My guess is yes, and the dots appear when the mouse swaps screens, I've reproduced this on my PC (when in windows) across multiple installs of windows, and on friends PCs also running AMD graphics cards,

Not much I can say but live with it (seems to be less common when moving the mouse across windows slower)

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

It's a driver issue.

I have the same problem and the only similarities we have are graphics drivers, so I can draw that conclusion.

I also have multiple monitors, so it's as you've confirmed.

usually if you click on a few things or click and drag to create a selection box across screens it seems to go away, if it's bothering you that much.

Yep, its such an odd thing, I don't get how it hasn't irritated any of the AMD driver devs at all, also its windows based, so its some quirk between AMD drivers and the windows desktop window manager doing it.

Well, it was more frequent on Win7. I moved to 8 and rolled back to 13.9 from alpha drivers and I can't remember if I've seen it recently or not. At the least it happens much less frequently.

Error: 410

usually if you click on a few things or click and drag to create a selection box across screens it seems to go away, if it's bothering you that much.

Yep, its such an odd thing, I don't get how it hasn't irritated any of the AMD driver devs at all, also its windows based, so its some quirk between AMD drivers and the windows desktop window manager doing it.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Same happens to me when I have 2 screens hooked up.

From what I've heard its been an issue on AMD/ATi cards since like 2004.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

It happens to me sometimes but after moving to Windows 8 I don't seem to experience this problem. I think the way that I fixed it before is by changing the cursor theme to something else or do a reboot. It might be driver issue as I currently am using 13.10 beta and don't have an issue with it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Well thanks everyone, I never knew about this. the 7950 is still a BEAST

It might be driver issue as I currently am using 13.10 beta and don't have an issue with it.

If i didn't make it clear, I've never experienced it in Linux, I've had AMD cards since early 2000's only experienced it in vista< (not had windows 8 to test on)