SSD/partition type for multi-OS exernal drive

ChuckMaurice

Hi folks,

I have some problems using my Zalman ZM-VE300, I think from multiple copies from Windows, MacOS and Linux :

It's being uses as a backup/maintenance external hard drive : I select an ISO I want to boot (mainly mainstream Linux distributions), I backup everything I can from the client's broken computer (sometimes corrupted data) and I restore Windows or Linux depending on his needs and his hardware.

I also pack a lot of Linux distributions for demo purposes, and stack over it some non-critical personnal files (games backup, movies, music). A beautiful mess. But I recently had some trouble recently which reminded me of the mediocre reliability of hard drives, and now after a defrag and some tests my partition is broken and I need to format it.

I wonder if using SSDs or another partition type (over NTFS used until now) could improve the reliability of this drive and avoid corruption. I know SSDs aren't subject to fragmentation but I don't know if it worth the cost.

Precision : I won't benefit from SSDs performance over HDDs (or not much) cause I'm limited by the Zalman enclosure which is not UASP. Also I don't see how more performance would be useful for my use case.

[Insert smart comment here]