Front panel usb issues :/

TOKENATOR420

All my specs are on my profile.

So one day i went to plug in my external hard drive to my 3.0 front panel usb.. And when i touched the cable to the usb hub to plug it in my computer instantly shut down.. Fastinated i booted back up everything was normal.. And i did it again.. zapped it shut off again.. I put in a ticket at fractal they sent out a new front panel usb connector, i installed it and still wont work. I have seen some issues with asus mobos and fractal cases.. But what do yall think. Did i short out my connectors on my motherboard of what is happening?

im stuck plugging in my flashdrive to the back for now like some kind of animal.. Any help would be appreciated

I'd stop plugging in anything important, as well as backup your entire system before trying to properly trouble shooting this. Anything that shuts your system down like that is no bueno, and you're asking for trouble messing with it without up to the minute backups just in case. As for the actual troubleshooting, is it anything that gets plugged into that port? It's as soon as the metal makes contact? Or when you actually plug it in?

Your motherboard has two USB 3.0 Headers. I would recommend testing out the other header on the chance that you just have a bad header connection on your board. Also, make sure the 3.0 header is properly secured and pushed all the way in. an intermittent connection could definitely cause weird issues.

10 hours ago, SysAdminInTraining said:

I'd stop plugging in anything important, as well as backup your entire system before trying to properly trouble shooting this. Anything that shuts your system down like that is no bueno, and you're asking for trouble messing with it without up to the minute backups just in case. As for the actual troubleshooting, is it anything that gets plugged into that port? It's as soon as the metal makes contact? Or when you actually plug it in?

well when i plugged a regular flash drive in it woulnt work, but plugging in that external zapped it right when the two metal heads made contact

14 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Your motherboard has two USB 3.0 Headers. I would recommend testing out the other header on the chance that you just have a bad header connection on your board. Also, make sure the 3.0 header is properly secured and pushed all the way in. an intermittent connection could definitely cause weird issues.

4 hours ago, TOKENATOR420 said:

well when i plugged a regular flash drive in it woulnt work, but plugging in that external zapped it right when the two metal heads made contact

Have you done what @Zyndo said yet? Same results? Does the USB port touch anything that could be giving it a little charge that is neutral until another item is introduced? (Usually not the case since it's plastic around the port). Let us know if you switched USB 3.0 head, does it also do this with a 2.0 port? It is just that one port alone? Every other port works just fine? There are no bent pins on the Mobo that is somehow getting into a hole it shouldn't be in?