What's this first-timer build like?

Actuatedkarma

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qHV89W
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qHV89W/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($198.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($71.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 540s 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB Core Video Card 
Case: BitFenix Shadow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $536.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 07:08 EDT-0400

Basically I would like to play at 1080p with decent fps with eventually 2 monitors, but also be somewhat future-proof. None of the games I play are particularly power-hungry because they're all pretty old. But. If i could get something like Forza Horizon 3 running smoothly thatd be great. I'll also be editing video and using Photoshop and illustrator.

I don't want to overclock, partly because I haven't looked into it but also because I'm trying to save money where I can. This is kinda tough since the parts in Australia are somewhat limited and the prices are high.

Some of the parts, like the GPU aren't the exact part, only because pcpartpicker doesn't have the part, so they're the closest I could find. I don't really want to change the GPU but the rest I am open to suggestions.

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Power supply is a nuke in a box. Replace with a CX450M. 8GBs of RAM is more than enough and please get an aftermarket, not reference 480. 

Yeah the 480 model is actually the xfx radeon Rx 480 rs

2 minutes ago, Actuatedkarma said:

Yeah the 480 model is actually the xfx radeon Rx 480 rs

Make sure It's the 8Gb version.

Also are you sure you need an optical drive? I'm using a NZXT H440 and I never needed one. Should use those 18 bucks for games

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Alright. Please take into account the other points. 

Nuke in a box doesn't sound fun, thanks for the heads up, switched it with the corsair one. Not sold on the 8gb of ram however, because I will be doing video and music production and wouldn't mind the extra ram.

4 minutes ago, Actuatedkarma said:

Nuke in a box doesn't sound fun, thanks for the heads up, switched it with the corsair one. Not sold on the 8gb of ram however, because I will be doing video and music production and wouldn't mind the extra ram.

Oh, for video production 16GBs will be good. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

8 minutes ago, 3vitor said:

Make sure It's the 8Gb version.

Also are you sure you need an optical drive? I'm using a NZXT H440 and I never needed one. Should use those 18 bucks for games

Sorry for the annoying beginner question, but is there any sort of noticeable difference in a 4gb card over an 8gb? I'm not trying to push max frame rates or settings so why wouldn't I try save a bit of money?

In regards to the optical disk drive, I need it for music transfer to and from CDs (I know, 21st century and stuff but my music equipment requires it)

I don't see why you'd need 8gb on a core like the 480. 4GB should be enough for widescreen width, 1080p height.

Just now, Eason85 said:

I don't see why you'd need 8gb on a core like the 480. 4GB should be enough for widescreen width, 1080p height.

That's what I was thinking, I'd be looking to add a second monitor down the track (both 1080p) but I was assuming the 480 was going to be fine with the 4GB variant?

3 hours ago, Actuatedkarma said:

Sorry for the annoying beginner question, but is there any sort of noticeable difference in a 4gb card over an 8gb? I'm not trying to push max frame rates or settings so why wouldn't I try save a bit of money?

Future compatibility. Your GPU will keep up with the demand for the next generation of games: Better textures, better shadows, tessellation, anti-aliasing, higher resolutions, everything a GPU handles inside a game.

It is already possible to max the 4Gb available on current gen games on 1080p. The 8Gb will be able to handle a lot more. 

But if you are on a tight budget it's up to you.

4 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Power supply is a nuke in a box. Replace with a CX450M. 8GBs of RAM is more than enough and please get an aftermarket, not reference 480. 

CXM is rather low quality get the CSM instead.

38 minutes ago, Kuri said:

CXM is rather low quality get the CSM instead.

CSM is even worse. The new gray label CXM (450, 550 and 650) are much better than previous models.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

CSM is even worse. The new gray label CXM (450, 550 and 650) are much better than previous models.

I only follow jonny guru when it comes to PSUs and the CSM is a decent PSU. Did they change anything?

Just now, Kuri said:

I only follow jonny guru when it comes to PSUs and the CSM is a decent PSU. Did they change anything?

The fact that the new CX line is better. Also, CSM has always been of 'meh' quality.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats