saving up for a new cpu

i just got myself a job on the weekend and im gonna save up some money i think that by christmas ill have about £300 pound to spend on a cpu and mobo 

atm i have and fx 6300 and a gtx 750  

im gonna be buying a gtx 1060 at christmas, but i was wondering if i should just go for an i5 or should i wait for amd's zen processors and see how much they are 

I would wait to see what is available by Christmas. Zen may not even be launched by then, but kabylake should be available.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

15 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

I would wait to see what is available by Christmas. Zen may not even be launched by then, but kabylake should be available.

Kaby Lake is only a small improvement over Skylake. If it costs the same or affordable then why not

3 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Kaby Lake is only a small improvement over Skylake. If it costs the same or affordable then why not

It'll fuck over the used market for a few days though, expect to get a 6700/k for $200 or less

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

19 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

i just got myself a job on the weekend and im gonna save up some money i think that by christmas ill have about £300 pound to spend on a cpu and mobo 

atm i have and fx 6300 and a gtx 750  

im gonna be buying a gtx 1060 at christmas, but i was wondering if i should just go for an i5 or should i wait for amd's zen processors and see how much they are 

You should go for a CPU upgrade first, new GPU later. Reason being you can sell the old platform and GPU to get teh cash for the new graphics card, whereas doing it the other way around only allows you to sell the old GPU in advance.

As for Zen... er..... I guess if you can wait, that's an option. Quite frankly, though, I have a feeling Zen will be a letdown in the sense that it's still not going to surpass Intel. They might close the gap, and that would be awesome, but my instinct tells me they aren't really going to be that much better, if any at all.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

i would say defiantly go with intel for games you have very time the better fps and better temps 

Just now, lukimiou said:

i would say defiantly go with intel for games you have very time the better fps and better temps 

not really. zen could surpass

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

As for Zen... er..... I guess if you can wait, that's an option. Quite frankly, though, I have a feeling Zen will be a letdown in the sense that it's still not going to surpass Intel. They might close the gap, and that would be awesome, but my instinct tells me they aren't really going to be that much better, if any at all.

Maybe...probably...but the performance to dollar might make it a tasty option for the budget builders.

2 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

not really. zen could surpass

never the i5 and the i7 because most games are optimize for intel (there pay much) and so the amd cpus are very time behind and after the graka release i don't think that there come more 

Just now, jello77 said:

Maybe...probably...but the performance to dollar might make it a tasty option for the budget builders.

I wouldn't call £300 "budget". Especially if he decides to go with the re-sell route and extend the budget even further.

Alas, no point arguing about it. Let's see what the future brings us...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

I wouldn't call £300 "budget". Especially if he decides to go with the re-sell route and extend the budget even further.

Alas, no point arguing about it. Let's see what the future brings us...

But surely Zen will still be cheaper than Kaby Lake.

Personally I would keep my eyes open for used Skylake processors.