Do I need a better CPU?

Go to solution Solved by Eliya Cohen,

So, I decided to upgrade my PC. This is what I'm gonna buy:

• CPU - Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5Ghz 6MB Cache s1151 - Box
  • MOTHERBOARD -  Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 LGA1151, Intel Z170, DDR3, 2xPCI-E, VGA, DVI, HDMI
  • RAM - HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz CL15 Kit

It will cost me 523.06 USD in Israel (Ohhh.. How I love taxes....). Is it a good choice?

Hey there,

Usually I'm playing heavy games such as Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1, Assassin's Creed Syndicate an on and on.

Currently I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz. And last week, I bought the Radeon RX480 (8GB) Graphic card, and I set the settings on Battlefield 4 on ultra. I saw I'm having sometimes 40fps which seems unusual for a graphic card such as RX480, so I opened the Task Manager and I saw that my CPU was running on 90~100% when I played. When I don't play it's usually on 15%~.

So I was wondering if I need a better CPU. and if I do, which Processor would be the best choice? (I don't need a Processor that will too expensive and be beyond of my needs).

This is the my dxdiag output: http://pastebin.com/Kque3eGC

Thanks.

If you ask me,yes a CPU upgrade will be a viable option as cpu intensive games will bottleneck your card and what you are experiencing is completely normal.The cpu can't take the load and asks the gpu to slow down,causing lag spikes for 1-2 seconds.

If you do plan do upgrade a cpu,I would suggest moving on to the newer 1151 platform as it will last longer and also enable you to just upgrade your cpu in the future.It will be more expensive than buying a better 1150 proccessor but if you can afford that,it will be better for you in the long run.

If its always running at such loads in those games, and thermal throttling isnt the issue, its almost guaranteed to be performance bottleneck. Like said above, a CPU upgrade is recommended.

Groomlake Authority

The decision is largely up to you, meaning if you can manage working with 40fps then save your money for a bathtub of ice cream (or, you know, a better processor once it starts to really become an issue).

That being said, I'd echo what those before me have said that this looks like a CPU bottleneck. An upgrade would likely bump your game performance a fair bit.

3 minutes ago, 4b33r said:

If you ask me,yes a CPU upgrade will be a viable option as cpu intensive games will bottleneck your card and what you are experiencing is completely normal.The cpu can't take the load and asks the gpu to slow down,causing lag spikes for 1-2 seconds.

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

If its always running at such loads in those games, and thermal throttling isnt the issue, its almost guaranteed to be performance bottleneck. Like said above, a CPU upgrade is recommended.

Thank you for your replies.

According to my PC hardware, can you recommend me would be the optimal processor for my needs? (Gaming the most)

2 minutes ago, Eliya Cohen said:

-snip-

An I5-6600K should suffice well enough ^^. If it was a 1080 or Titan XP, then a I7-6700k would be better and even then for the XP, maybe an Oced 6800K.

Groomlake Authority

You see in the i5 6th gen series it's as simple as buy the 6600k or buy an i3.The performance difference you get from the 6600k is well worth the added 40 bucks from the 6400.But prices add up when you plan to upgrade from a 1150.I would recommend a Z170 motherboard to go with your unlocked CPU to take full advantage of it and also you will need DDR4 ram.All and all here are the prices-

6600K = 235 USD

GIGABYTE HD3 = 90 USD (cheapest i recommend)

HYPER X fury 8GB = 40 USD

17 minutes ago, Eliya Cohen said:

Hey there,

Usually I'm playing heavy games such as Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1, Assassin's Creed Syndicate an on and on.

Currently I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz. And last week, I bought the Radeon RX480 (8GB) Graphic card, and I set the settings on Battlefield 4 on ultra. I saw I'm having sometimes 40fps which seems unusual for a graphic card such as RX480, so I opened the Task Manager and I saw that my CPU was running on 90~100% when I played. When I don't play it's usually on 15%~.

So I was wondering if I need a better CPU. and if I do, which Processor would be the best choice? (I don't need a Processor that will too expensive and be beyond of my needs).

This is the my dxdiag output: http://pastebin.com/Kque3eGC

Thanks.

whats the usage like on the gpu? is it pinned at 100% as well or...?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

12 minutes ago, 4b33r said:

You see in the i5 6th gen series it's as simple as buy the 6600k or buy an i3.The performance difference you get from the 6600k is well worth the added 40 bucks from the 6400.But prices add up when you plan to upgrade from a 1150.I would recommend a Z170 motherboard to go with your unlocked CPU to take full advantage of it and also you will need DDR4 ram.All and all here are the prices-

6600K = 235 USD

GIGABYTE HD3 = 90 USD (cheapest i recommend)

HYPER X fury 8GB = 40 USD

Thanks mate, I'll look into it! ;)

8 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

whats the usage like on the gpu? is it pinned at 100% as well or...?

I haven't checked it, I'll test it now. I'll update once I finish.

So, I decided to upgrade my PC. This is what I'm gonna buy:

• CPU - Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5Ghz 6MB Cache s1151 - Box
  • MOTHERBOARD -  Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 LGA1151, Intel Z170, DDR3, 2xPCI-E, VGA, DVI, HDMI
  • RAM - HyperX FURY 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz CL15 Kit

It will cost me 523.06 USD in Israel (Ohhh.. How I love taxes....). Is it a good choice?