12V Rail reading 8.184V?

Stephie_Girl

So I have a CM GX 650W PSU.  HWMonitor and OCCT read the 12V rail as 8.148V.  Now the Bios reads it at 12.03V, and I ran 2 HD 7950's in Xfire for a few months at one point.  I've also changed motherboards and it does this in both Win 7 and Win 8.  It's done this since I got it in 2011, strange huh?

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Hmm think its on its last legs ;D oops dident see that its done it since you got it, its probably a program problem , true way of testing it would be to get a multimeter 

CPU 5900x| GPU 3080ti FE| MOBO MSI MPG CARBON MAX| RAM 32GB VENGENCE PRO 3200Mhz| STORAGE Samsung 980 Pro 1TB,2X WDSN750,4TB Seagate Barracuda| COOLING 1x Corsair 360mm XR7 54mm Radiator,1x EK-CoolStream PE 360mm Radiator| GPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XG7 RGB| CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XC5 RGB| Fittings: EK-Torque STC & Corsair Hydro X Series XF| Pump/Res: EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5| Tubing: Corsair Hydro X Series XT Softline| Liquid: Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Clear| Fans: 10x Corsair SP120 RGB

Get a multimeter and measure the voltage that the 12V molex rail has, that's way out of spec, your computer would be off at 8V.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Yea, at 8v things would not be working anymore. Everything would be fried from being undervolted. Im sure the BIOS reading it at 12.03 is the correct value, and for whatever reason your programs are reading that value incorrectly.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

A cheap way of testing is to take it into your local hardware store and ask them to use their multimeter and that will tell for sure what the 12v is putting out, all you need to to take the psu in along with the power cable and turn it on and test it.

OCCT, HWMonitor, and even the BIOS aren't really reliable in voltage monitoring. Assuming that the software is monitoring the correct sensor (the very sensor the BIOS monitor), the sensor typically isn't accurately calibrated to give you any meaningful value. I've seen voltage drop down to <10v and even go up to 16v even in the BIOS. If the PSU is indeed outputting such a low voltage the 12v rail, then the UVP of the PSU would have trip off.

Also, lets say the sensor is accurate, the BIOS won't help much since your system isn't being stress when you are in it. If you want to have a more accurate value, it is best to used a DMM.