Building a PC Advice?

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and to LinusTechTips in general. I would like some advice on how to build a high end gaming PC (I'm a complete noob), and what I should look out for as well as things to avoid and companies that are trustworthy for parts etc. Any advice would really help me. Thanks 

Well just incase ya dont know 

> Make sure all components are compatible 

> Make sure there within your budget 

> Dont Rush it Take your time 

> have fun 

if your still stuck look at linus indepth Build Guides on pc;s where he goes step by step on how to build them 

what i find usefull for pricing & compatability is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

PC's I Have Built And Currently Still in House:

Main PC (My One):

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @5.00Ghz

Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270-E Gaming ATX

Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 32gb (4 x 8) 3200mhz

Storage: 2TB Segate Barracuda HDD, 960gb HyperX Savage (Games), 240gb Samsung 850 Evo (OS)

Case: Corsair 750D

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1000w PSU

Graphics Card: 2x Asus Strix GeForce GTX 1080TI (SLI) 

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Cooling: Custom Water Cooling

use pcpartpicker (pcpartpicker.com)

Here is a nice build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tylerebowers/saved/#view=n2vXsY

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

3 minutes ago, TheViriathus said:

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and to LinusTechTips in general. I would like some advice on how to build a high end gaming PC (I'm a complete noob), and what I should look out for as well as things to avoid and companies that are trustworthy for parts etc. Any advice would really help me. Thanks 

generalities are a lot more difficult to answer than specific questions. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here on the forums. As far as parts go, your choice for CPU will  be limited to AMD or Intel. Look into both options, see what fits your budged (what is your budget BTW). Generally AMD offers better cheap CPUS while Intel offers better higher end CPUs. As far as motherboard goes, i would recommend Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, or EVGA. You can try Asrock too, but i have never used one of there mobos so i cannot vouch for it. As far as GPU goes, determine the chipset first; do you want an AMD GPU or a NVidia GPU. I would buy the most current generation, and buy it with an aftermarket coolers. I would recommend an EVGA sc editon card, or an asus strix or MSI. Other brands are good, but those three i have used and have worked very well for the price. That is the most basic questions that people have. If recommend going to the new builds section of the forums and posting your budget, your uses, your region, etc, and they will spit out a parts list for you.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, mikat said:

that's way over budget for 95% of the people though, try making some more reasonable options :)

He wanted "high-end"

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

generalities are a lot more difficult to answer than specific questions. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here on the forums. As far as parts go, your choice for CPU will  be limited to AMD or Intel. Look into both options, see what fits your budged (what is your budget BTW). Generally AMD offers better cheap CPUS while Intel offers better higher end CPUs. As far as motherboard goes, i would recommend Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, or EVGA. You can try Asrock too, but i have never used one of there mobos so i cannot vouch for it. As far as GPU goes, determine the chipset first; do you want an AMD GPU or a NVidia GPU. I would buy the most current generation, and buy it with an aftermarket coolers. I would recommend an EVGA sc editon card, or an asus strix or MSI. Other brands are good, but those three i have used and have worked very well for the price. That is the most basic questions that people have. If recommend going to the new builds section of the forums and posting your budget, your uses, your region, etc, and they will spit out a parts list for you.

Try out XFX they worked out for me, its a good add to the mix

3 minutes ago, mikat said:

only if you basically shit money haha

even then. There are better components you can buy for less money. the CPU and memory are fine. The CPU cooler is fine, but in the $2100 range you really should have something a little more substantial. the motherboard is a personal choice so if someone wants the M5 then its fine too. But a 1TB SSD isn't really sensible (although if someone has the money, I suppose its not a terrible idea). the Titan X is a bad idea, as a gtx 1080 will out perform it and cost much less. there are better cases on the market for less money (although again that one is a personal choice, if they REALLY want that case they can get it) and the PSU is overpriced for what it provides.

You could build a better computer for less money. There is no good reason to get that build.

Just now, Alaa said:

Why the hell do you have a 1000$ GPU there, try out something more logical, like a 1080 or something

i built this a while ago

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

Just now, Zyndo said:

even then. There are better components you can buy for less money. the CPU and memory are fine, the motherboard is a personal choice so if someone wants the M5 then its fine too. But a 1TB SSD isn't really sensible (although if someone has the money, I suppose its not a terrible idea). the Titan X is a bad idea, as a gtx 1080 will out perform it and cost much less. there are better cases on the market for less money (although again that one is a personal choice, if they REALLY want that case they can get it) and the PSU is overpriced for what it provides.

You could build a better computer for less money. There is no good reason to get that build.

I built this a while ago

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

1 minute ago, Tyleredbowers said:

i built this a while ago

Wait for the RX Fury and RX Fury X (I think thats what they are called) then try another build. I see some potentail in that one already.

1 minute ago, Alaa said:

Wait for the RX Fury and RX Fury X (I think thats what they are called) then try another build. I see some potentail in that one already.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tylerebowers/saved/#view=bjKv6h

better?

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

Just now, Alaa said:

Well I'd have to research performance but I meant 1 1080, thats enough for nearly everything for 2/3 years ahead

FUTUREPROOOOOOOOOOF

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

6 minutes ago, Tyleredbowers said:

i built this a while ago

Thats fine, but don't be linking it to someone who is a "complete noob" (his words not mine). He will not understand why that system is bad or wasteful and may be inclined to get it or some of the not-so-great parts on that list (like the GPU and PSU).

33 minutes ago, TheViriathus said:

You should start by determining your budget. Like bgibbz wrote, if you post it here, it will be way easier to narrow down good components for you.

1 hour ago, Tyleredbowers said:

use pcpartpicker (pcpartpicker.com)

Here is a nice build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tylerebowers/saved/#view=n2vXsY

That is not at all a nice build. He could get the same performance for like 500$ less, and that is overkill performance for just about every use case. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

Thanks. I guess I would have a budget of about 1500 but again I do not know if that is enough for a good one. I just want to be able to handle titles like battlefield1 on maxed out settings and probably use it to edit and upload to YouTube as well. 

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

Thats fine, but don't be linking it to someone who is a "complete noob" (his words not mine). He will not understand why that system is bad or wasteful and may be inclined to get it or some of the not-so-great parts on that list (like the GPU and PSU).

I really am a complete noob lol. I have no idea what goes into a good PC