Ways to improve performance of an old laptop?

I have a old laptop, and I am looking for ways to improve it's general performance with gaming and programming. It's pretty bad all around, so I don't know if there is anything I can do. 

Might help to know what kind of laptop it is, model would be ideal.

Well you can't replace any parts. I would say save all your important data, clear it of EVERYTHING, and then try it out. That could help a bit. Otherwise there isn't a lot you can do.

Spoiler

It's got a Celeron and 4 gigs of ram. Not exactly ideal for performance. I just wanted to squeeze the last bit of life from it before I get a new one. 

Besides getting an SSD to reduce load times and get faster/more ram to improve in-game latency and overhaul fps gains, i dont see much you could do. I did that on my old laptop before selling it, gaming performance remained unchanged and only got worse for some reason (cleaned the fans, switched the disk and got more ram and the thing was still dying o-o). SATA 2 speeds bottlenecking the SATA 3 ssd overthere.

Groomlake Authority

Thanks for the help! I'm probably going to get a new one soon, but I've been thinking about an SSD for a while now.