Looking for information on certifications

SilicateWielder

So I have just had the information confirmed that my mom's boyfriend is going to be helping me start my own computer shop. And as such the importance of me getting the necesary certifications for the job has risen. What certifications would you guys recommend getting for someone who is going to be opening a computer retail and repair shop. (Maybe doing custom rigs on the side)

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

CompTIA A+ would be a good place to start.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

CompTIA A+ would be a good place to start.

I'm already studying for the A+ certification. Are there any other certifications that you would recommend?

Just now, UnbrokenMotion said:

I'm already studying for the A+ certification. Are there any other certifications that you would recommend?

Not many that are coming to mind, what all are you planning on doing with this computer shop? Building and selling computers? repairing computers? selling computer parts? etc..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Honestly A+ is useless these days :/ Were not pulling BIOS chips from boards anymore. Everything is made to be replaced these days, not repaired. Honestly, the best way is to get word of mouth out and previous customer testimonials about the work provided etc... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

So I have just had the information confirmed that my mom's boyfriend is going to be helping me start my own computer shop. And as such the importance of me getting the necesary certifications for the job has risen. What certifications would you guys recommend getting for someone who is going to be opening a computer retail and repair shop. (Maybe doing custom rigs on the side)

What country are you in? This is a tough business to start.

Just now, TheKDub said:

Not many that are coming to mind, what all are you planning on doing with this computer shop? Building and selling computers? repairing computers? selling computer parts? etc..

Primarily the goal is to eventually be selling parts, as well as selling custom built computers and repairing computers as well.

Just now, TheKDub said:

Primarily the goal is to eventually be selling parts, as well as selling custom built computers and repairing computers as well.

6 minutes ago, JohnT said:

The United States, there are two other computer shops in town (one nearby, and one on the outskirts of town) so I am aware competition may play a key role in keeping the business afloat, especially when it first opens.

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Honestly A+ is useless these days :/ Were not pulling BIOS chips from boards anymore. Everything is made to be replaced these days, not repaired. Honestly, the best way is to get word of mouth out and previous customer testimonials about the work provided etc... 

Yeah I know. Although I would like to ask, what is the benefit of having a certification? Is there anything "special" that comes with being certified?

Also, is it me or is the site oddly buggy today? I keep seeing duplicate posts in this thread.

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

The United States, there are only two other computer shops in town so I am aware competition may play a key role in keeping the business afloat, especially when it first opens.

Yeah I know. Although I would like to ask, what is the benefit of having a certification? Is there anything "special" that comes with being certified?

Also, is it me or is the site oddly buggy today? I keep seeing duplicate posts in this thread.

Unfortunately the site has been like this since the recent maintenance upgrade they did last week? 

As far as certifications, there are many out there that would be beneficial. You could try and get some of the other certs, like for Windows, Networking, Servers, etc... those would be much more beneficial long term personally than A+ in the event that the business venture does not pan out. If you want to get into more Larger networking stuff like for LAN/WAN side of things, you could start looking at CCENT, CCNA etc.. these are coveted certs these days. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

15 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

The United States, there are two other computer shops in town (one nearby, and one on the outskirts of town) so I am aware competition may play a key role in keeping the business afloat, especially when it first opens.

Then you need to offer something they dont. Honestly the retail side of computer shop business is a DRAG. It suck big time. Consulting businesses for solutions like Guest Wifi, or Networking solutions (for which you will want a certified electrician on staff), or home security cameras, etc. THAT'S fulfilling work.

NEVER sell a product. Sell a SOLUTION.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic