Wondering what to upgrade in the future

Hello everybody.

A few months ago, I managed to build my own gaming PC, but as a doofus, I bought an i7 5820k CPU. Looking at some Benchmarks, I could get much higher performance buy buying an i7 6700k.

Should I sell my motherboard (which is an MSI X99A SLI PLUS by the way) and processor to buy another mobo and an i7 6700k, or save to buy a better GPU/anything else?

Also, if it helps, here are all my specs:

CPU: i7 5820k

Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS

GPU: Zotac AMP! nVidia 980

Memory: HyperX Fury dual channel 16 GB

Storage: 1TB WD HDD, 120 GB HyperX SSD

Power source: Corsair CX650M

Thanks in advance,

Peter.

Don't bother selling the 5820k and the MOBO, the 6700k have better single tread performance then a 5820k but we're only talking a few %. The 5820k is better at the programs that can utilize the extra cores.

You can also overclock to make up for a lot of the difference, too. If we're talking gaming, the difference between a i7-6700K and i7-5820K isn't going to be very much, and the two additional cores for the i7-5820K will make it a bit more future-proof in the long run.

3 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

You can also overclock to make up for a lot of the difference, too. If we're talking gaming, the difference between a i7-6700K and i7-5820K isn't going to be very much, and the two additional cores for the i7-5820K will make it a bit more future-proof in the long run.

I have it clocked from 3.3GHz to 3.6 using the lovely OC Genie on the mobo, love that thing.

Keep your CPU and upgrade your 980 to a 1070/1080 whatever you can afford :D your CPU is Excellent and you shouldn't worry about the advantages of another CPU. 

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.0GHz // Motherboard: MSI Gaming 3 Motherboard // RAM: 8GB Kingstone 1833MHz  // GPU: Saphire R9 390 Nitro // HDD: 500GB Toshiba // SSD: 120GB Sandisk // PSU: 550w 

Games: F1 2016, GTA 5, TrackMania Stadium, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, COD Black ops 1. 

Huge fan of Formula 1. 

Twitter: RAFAndrew

Future upgrades i'd recommend being maybe a Bigger SSD, and i dont really feel you have to upgrade your GPU for a while anyway, apart from that, system looks good :3

i AM A TASTY NUUUUUB!!!!! 

Your CPU is fine. Safe Money for  a new GPU and an IPS 144hz Gsync Display if you havent one already.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

20 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Your CPU is fine. Safe Money for  a new GPU and an IPS 144hz Gsync Display if you havent one already.

Alright, thanks, but as a huge fan of WUXGA monitors, there aren't any here, with my desk size(photo down there), I can't really get a monitor bigger than 20 inches or so, and at that size, it's not really worth it.

http://imgur.com/CiTzCTT

Edited by Guest
Photo didn't work.

7 minutes ago, Puhtutz said:

Alright, thanks, but as a huge fan of WUXGA monitors, there aren't any here, with my desk size(photo down there), I can't really get a monitor bigger than 20 inches or so, and at that size, it's not really worth it.

20160829_144803.jpg

Ya it should be 27". Cant see the picture, maybe my phone.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Ya it should be 27". Cant see the picture, maybe my phone.

Fixed it.

your build looks great and probably serves you quite well.  But if you are feeling the itch to upgrade, maybe a m.2 ssd and use your hyperX ssd as a game library or just fast storage?  Or maybe get another 16gb ram kit for quad channel?

I personally like your config and wouldn't change anything...yet.

In the end, it's your pc and my opinion means nothing, 

good luck happy upgrading

7 hours ago, mchllatham03 said:

your build looks great and probably serves you quite well.  But if you are feeling the itch to upgrade, maybe a m.2 ssd and use your hyperX ssd as a game library or just fast storage?  Or maybe get another 16gb ram kit for quad channel?

I personally like your config and wouldn't change anything...yet.

In the end, it's your pc and my opinion means nothing, 

good luck happy upgrading

Alright, the cheapest new SSD (in my area) is a 60 GB Adata m.2 one. Should I buy that one or buy a bigger one second hand?

I'm not sure.  Is the adata m.2 a SATA ssd?  I would probably hold out for a nvme ssd or a hyperX Predator.  

It is hard to clone your OS to a smaller drive than you already have, but it can be done.

16 hours ago, mchllatham03 said:

Is the adata m.2 a SATA ssd?

The adata is an m.2 card installed on the m.2 port.

16 hours ago, mchllatham03 said:

It is hard to clone your OS to a smaller drive than you already have, but it can be done

Could you give me a tutorial/tool to do it?

8 hours ago, Puhtutz said:

The adata is an m.2 card installed on the m.2 port.

Could you give me a tutorial/tool to do it?

m.2 ssd's can use sata controllers.

I usually use acronis to clone drives