How many fan headers?

Go to solution Solved by kalious78,

download the manual from services and goto page 40

hint: it shows 5

How many fan headers does this board have? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-GAMING-M5.html#hero-overview I read the whole page and can't find anything so I figured posting here maybe somebody who owns the board will know.

Edit : we found it was 5, now I am looking for a board with 8, if you know of any please share.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Trying to count from the picture, I count... 2?  That can't be right... one for the CPU and another one as well.  I feel like there must be more I'm missing... surely...

no 3 I think

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Trying to count from the picture, I count... 2?  That can't be right... one for the CPU and another one as well.  I feel like there must be more I'm missing... surely...

no 3 I think

Dam was hoping it would have more so I don't need to buy any molex cables, my future build will have 8 case fans. I know some mobos have like 11 headers (Science studio just made a build and used a Z170S board with 11) and that would be awesome.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

3 minutes ago, kalious78 said:

download the manual from services and goto page 40

hint: it shows 5

that's a lot more believable... but I don't see them all yet :D

Aha got them all :)

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Dam was hoping it would have more so I don't need to buy any molex cables, my future build will have 8 case fans. I know some mobos have like 11 headers (Science studio just made a build and used a Z170S board with 11) and that would be awesome.

There's 5 not 3 but yeah still a far cry from 11...

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There's 5 not 3 but yeah still a far cry from 11...

Yea, I need 8, do you good sir know of any red/black boards that can house an i7 6700k with that many?

I CAN deal with molex cables if I have too but I just prefer not to.

CPU

don't buy molex cables they'll just spin fullspeed :( get a splitter/splitters or fan controller depending what fans you use.

Just now, kalious78 said:

don't buy molex cables they'll just spin fullspeed :( get a splitter/splitters or fan controller depending what fans you use.

The problem with that (here's my build so you can see easier http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pc8F8K) my case doesn't have a 5.25 slot for fan controllers... I could do the splitter route I suppose, that'd be what using 4 of them use a 1 to 2 splitter 4 times to make 8? Will the board have enough power for that? God I can see that cable management cluster now! LOL

CPU

8 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

The problem with that (here's my build so you can see easier http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pc8F8K) my case doesn't have a 5.25 slot for fan controllers... I could do the splitter route I suppose, that'd be what using 4 of them use a 1 to 2 splitter 4 times to make 8? Will the board have enough power for that? God I can see that cable management cluster now! LOL

someone suggested the nzxt grid to me in a thread I made a while back, it doesn't need a 5.25 bay, I cant guarantee it would be voltage controlled though as I never got one and some reviews say it is while others complain it isn't (I suspect they didn't know what header to use or have shit mobos)

I simply used these myself but I'm sure there'll be something to suit your needs with a bit of looking.

it may change in the future but atm i have 7 fans running with those splitters with 3 sp120s running of 1 header as only 2 sys headers have voltage control on my board. so far I have no issues, as far as I know its down to your fans amps, each header can handle 1amp unless stated for higher by the manufacturer.