Help please! New pc build.

nicholasfmathison

I started building my new pc today and I have never done it before. I put everything in the right spot, except for the hard drive I dont know where that is supposed to go. I also dont know what wires to put where. Tutorials are saying stuff like put the "blank" into the "blank" and I have no idea the names of things. Does anybody know a good step by step tutorial?

6 minutes ago, nicholasfmathison said:

I started building my new pc today and I have never done it before. I put everything in the right spot, except for the hard drive I dont know where that is supposed to go. I also dont know what wires to put where. Tutorials are saying stuff like put the "blank" into the "blank" and I have no idea the names of things. Does anybody know a good step by step tutorial?

Check out Carey Holzman's youtube channel. he has detailed videos on how to do this

it's a giant mushroom... MAYBE IT'S FRIENDLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mobo and case manuals are usually good for basic things. Also most cables have labels and can only go one way in. HDD/SSD for example needs two cables, SATA power and SATA data. They have L-shaped connectors with power being bigger.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Normally there are certain bays in your case that the hard drives just slip into, got pics and specs?

Hard drive bays are generally located in these spots, usually the top ones are most common: drivebays900d.png?0a436b

And you just slide in the Hard Disk Drive  (HDD) into the slot. Some have clips that hold the HDD into place, some need screws.

Then you need to plug in the power cable (B in the picture) from the power supply (PSU)  and the SATA cable (A in the pic below) goes from the motherboard SATA plugs to the HDD. like this 

sata-cables.png

SATA ports on the motherboard look like this:

mbsataports.JPG

Or this:

gigabyte_p55_sata.jpg

Notice how the ports all have SATA_1, SATA_2 labels on them. Ideally you want to plug you main Hard Drive into SATA_1 or SATA_0 because when the computer boots it will check these ports first. Everything on a motherboard is labeled if you look close enough, if its not written on the board itself you have a manual that details what everything is.

Here's a fantastic PC Building guide with plenty of pictures. Check the other pages for more info

http://www.pcworld.com/article/131231/how-to-install-a-new-hard-drive-in-your-desktop-pc.html

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)