Upgrade decision HELP

TheKingKobra

So I've got enough money to do one of 2 things whiCheck I want both but can only do 1 at a time. My choices are upgrading my gtx 970 to a 1070 or change my aio which has been making some noise (and I hate any sounds on my pc) to custom water cooling. I need some opinions on this soon thanks.

What monitor do you have? 1080p? 1440p? 4k? And what games do you play? 

Cooler first.

It's going to be more of a pain to have to worry and deal with a failing cooler than it is to stare longingly at the GPU online.

7 minutes ago, Herbz said:

1080p I play battlefront, ark, rocket league, and soon maybe overwatch

8 minutes ago, Herbz said:

But might be doing some vr stuff in the near future

Thats what I would've said if he is gaming on 1080p or even 1440p. A 970 is decent for 1080p or even 1440p gaming.

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Cooler first.

It's going to be more of a pain to have to worry and deal with a failing cooler than it is to stare longingly at the GPU online.

Ya that's probably true

3 minutes ago, TheKingKobra said:

1080p I play battlefront, ark, rocket league, and soon maybe overwatch

Definatly get a new AIO cooler or custom loop. You can get a second 970 for VR and that will do fine. My brother has 2 970's and has a Vive, his experience of it is very good!

Honestly upgrading should mostly only be done if necessary, it's better to upgrade later and be amazed at the large framerate increase. I'm still running a 770, and on 1080p all those game would run fine so the 970 will easily handle it.

Just now, Herbz said:

Definatly get a new AIO cooler. You can get a second 970 for VR and that will do fine. My brother has 2 970's and has a Vive, his experience of it is very good!

Good idea what about custom water cooling?

Just now, TheKingKobra said:

Good idea what about custom water cooling?

A custom loop is good but difficult. People are going to say its easy but in realilty its not. If you watch Jayz Two Cents or Awsomesauce Hardware they have both got custom loops and both had issues each time. They are very experiance in custom loops. I would suggest a H115i AIO as its much cheaper and keeps my OC'ed i7 6800k under 35degreesC under full load.

2 minutes ago, Herbz said:

A custom loop is good but difficult. People are going to say its easy but in realilty its not. If you watch Jayz Two Cents or Awsomesauce Hardware they have both got custom loops and both had issues each time. They are very experiance in custom loops. I would suggest a H115i AIO as its much cheaper and keeps my OC'ed i7 6800k under 35degreesC under full load.

I really only want something that's basically silent and I might consider water cooling my gpu

Just now, TheKingKobra said:

I really only want something that's basically silent and I might consider water cooling my gpu

Water cooling loops are as loud or sometimes louder than a AIO cooling such as the H115i as there is less fans at lower speeds and still keeping temps low.