mobo fan headers

not sure if this should be in here or the cooling sub but anyhow,

does anyone know how motherboard fan headers work in regard to max output, will they over run and burn out if you add to many fans to one header or will they simply not power the fans to there full potential and be limited to the headers output ability ?

id assume the later, so while it should be safe to add 100 fans to 1 header theyd only run at like 20 rpm but im not really sure...

8 minutes ago, kalious78 said:

not sure if this should be in here or the cooling sub but anyhow,

does anyone know how motherboard fan headers work in regard to max output, will they over run and burn out if you add to many fans to one header or will they simply not power the fans to there full potential and be limited to the headers output ability ?

id assume the later, so while it should be safe to add 100 fans to 1 header theyd only run at like 20 rpm but im not really sure...

It depends on the amperage of the fans but the headers are usually not protected in anyway so you can overload them. The rule of thumb is usually 3-4 fans max per header as many have a 1amp capacity, exceeding that amperage can lead to less than desirable situations. 

yeah I was looking at the amps, cant find info on my old boards pins and I'm slightly over running 4 with 1.2, guess I was hoping they had some kinda regulation on them.

spose i'll need to go find a a controller or just risk it.

6 minutes ago, kalious78 said:

yeah I was looking at the amps, cant find info on my old boards pins and I'm slightly over running 4 with 1.2, guess I was hoping they had some kinda regulation on them.

spose i'll need to go find a a controller or just risk it.

Note that starting amperage for fan motors can be more than double the rated amperage depending on how the manufacture rated it as it's not standardized. If they are PWM 4 pin fans you can get power splitters which take power from the PSU or for 3 pin as you mentioned a fan controller like the NZXT grid.

follow up question then, do you know if this regulates the fans using asus built in controller or will it just fire them all up at full speed and deafen me? couple of the q&as claim it just runs at full speed.

the problem I have is only 3 of the 6 headers on the board actually support fan control, the cpu header being one and 1s n a daft spot. been trying to avoid chopping up my sp120s cables and dangling wires down from the top exhausts.

guess I can rewire some more crap if not.

edit: yeah nvm I got bored n just rewired some crap, have 2 coolermaster sickleflows at .7a and made a small extension for 3 sp120s at .75a, should be fine now.