Quad channel and double duel channel ram

Differences between Quad channel and double duel channel ram? Pros and cons of each, and expected results during performance. Thanks :)

Memory and CPU are connected by a BUS. This bus has a certain specific bandwidth depending on the generation, and will allow data to be transferred.

There is no difference between "Double" sticks on Dual Channel (for example 4x8GB memory sticks on a i5 6600K) and "singular" sticks on Dual Channel (For example 2x16GB memory sticks on a i5 6600k). As long as memory speeds and timings are the same, speed will be the same, as the buses between the CPU and memory slots are already in use.

Quad Channel memory allows for 4x buses connected to the CPU, as stated on the previous example, Quad Channel (4 sticks) is the same as Quad Channel with 8 sticks (as long as they are installed on the correct positions).

This is a rough sketch of how memory connects to the CPU on both configurations:

Sin título.png

This drawing is over-simplifying how it works, but as you can see it doesn't matter if there are 2 sticks on the same channel, or one, as they are actually one single channel, even though there are 2 slots.

The difference between Quad and Dual channel is basically how many lanes connect the memory and CPU (either 4 or 2). DDR4 Dual Channel usually has an approximate Write Bandwidth of 27GB per second, while Quad Channel achieves speeds over 50GB per second.

2 hours ago, ForsakenLive said:

Memory and CPU are connected by a BUS. This bus has a certain specific bandwidth depending on the generation, and will allow data to be transferred.

There is no difference between "Double" sticks on Dual Channel (for example 4x8GB memory sticks on a i5 6600K) and "singular" sticks on Dual Channel (For example 2x16GB memory sticks on a i5 6600k). As long as memory speeds and timings are the same, speed will be the same, as the buses between the CPU and memory slots are already in use.

Quad Channel memory allows for 4x buses connected to the CPU, as stated on the previous example, Quad Channel (4 sticks) is the same as Quad Channel with 8 sticks (as long as they are installed on the correct positions).

This is a rough sketch of how memory connects to the CPU on both configurations:

Sin título.png

This drawing is over-simplifying how it works, but as you can see it doesn't matter if there are 2 sticks on the same channel, or one, as they are actually one single channel, even though there are 2 slots.

The difference between Quad and Dual channel is basically how many lanes connect the memory and CPU (either 4 or 2). DDR4 Dual Channel usually has an approximate Write Bandwidth of 27GB per second, while Quad Channel achieves speeds over 50GB per second.

Thanks for the reply :)   I'll try my best to understand, but the over simplified diagram realy does help. 

Also note that if you get quad channel ram, any performance gains will be completely nullified if you only put in 2 sticks of ram, and it's likely the system won't even post. And while you do get more bandwidth with quad channel, performance in real life tests have been pretty neck and neck with dual. You can read more in this article.