Need help with speakers...

Nmistry09
Go to solution Solved by Nmistry09,

Thanks!

I'm sorry if I annoy anyone by asking this question, but I really am new to the whole "speaker" thing (a.k.a. I don't know anything about them). I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to hook up some speakers to a computer and what all the different colored audio jack port thingies are. Sorry again, I really am a noob at this.

4 minutes ago, Nmistry09 said:

I'm sorry if I annoy anyone by asking this question, but I really am new to the whole "speaker" thing (a.k.a. I don't know anything about them). I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to hook up some speakers to a computer and what all the different colored audio jack port thingies are. Sorry again, I really am a noob at this.

well they are colour coded as to have easy distinction between them

here's a helpful link to help ye on yer way:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-on-board-audio-works/

Thanks. I have 2 more questions. Can you have headphones and speakers in the same build? Also, what does "line in" mean and what is the difference from the rear, front, and middle speakers?

I am using the Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX Motherboard. Any speakers that you recommend?

1 minute ago, Nmistry09 said:

Thanks. I have 2 more questions. Can you have headphones and speakers in the same build? Also, what does "line in" mean and what is the difference from the rear, front, and middle speakers?

You can use both speakers and headset at the same time, but you have to have a splitter or a second sound card in your PC, a dac would also work (dac = digital to analog converter so basically usb to 3.5mm or xlr and is just like an external sound card) and line in is the one you plug your microphone into.

1 minute ago, Nmistry09 said:

I am using the Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX Motherboard. Any speakers that you recommend?

I use a pair of Logitech Z623 and they're the best speakers i've owned, not too expensive but amazing sound for the money! :D

10 minutes ago, Nmistry09 said:

Rear, front and middle speakers are used in a 5 or 7 channel surround setup. 

If you're "only" doing headphones and/or stereo speakers you don't need to worry about those.

The line in will allow you to input a signal into the PC. You can use this to input from a phone, for example. 

You can have speakers and headphones on the same PC, you just need a way to connect both of them,

This can be done with a splitter cable, an audio interface or another internal soundcard. 

8 minutes ago, Nmistry09 said:

Depends on how you'll be connecting the speakers and what your budget is.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

3 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Rear, front and middle speakers are used in a 7 channel surround setup. 

If you're "only" doing headphones and/or stereo speakers you don't need to worry about those.

The line in will allow you to input a 2V signal into the PC. You can use this to input from a phone, for example. 

You can have speakers and headphones on the same PC, you just need a way to connect both of them,

This can be done with a splitter cable, an audio interface or another internal soundcard. 

Cool. The splitter cable seem to be the best option for me because I don't have a big budget. Does the cable interfere with the quality?

Just now, Nmistry09 said:

Cool. The splitter cable seem to be the best option for me because I don't have a big budget. Does the cable interfere with the quality?

The best answer I can give is that it shouldn't. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes