Intel SSD 750 400GB and Z77MA-G45 MOBO

Kasdo

So today I got a new SSD, Intel 750 series.

My mobo is Z77MA-G45. 

When I plugged the SSD at the first time I didn't see it in the boot menu, so I updated the Bios to the latest version (1.9).

Now I see the SSD in "My Computer", but I still don't see it in the boot menu.

I can put files in it, benchmark it and all of these stuff.

Is there a way to make it bootable and to make it my main (OS) drive? Currently my main drive is some WD 1TB HDD.

Yea, you gotta install an os onto it to make it bootable. Or clone an existing bootable drive to it.

When in doubt, re-format.

9 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Yea, you gotta install an os onto it to make it bootable. Or clone an existing bootable drive to it.

I tried to install an OS on it, it says that it can't install windows on it because my hardware doesn't support it, and I need to go to the Bios and change something in the disk controller, and I have no idea where it is.

Most Z77 motherboard doesn't support NVMe drives. 

The only manufacturer that did release a bios update for NVMe support on Z77 is AsRock. 

So you have two options now, either find a way to get NVMe support onto your motherboard which involves modifying BIOSes, or return the NVMe drive and get something like an HyperX Predator PCI-e based SSD. 

3 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

-snip-

Oops, somehow missed the NVME part. Yea, there is more than likely no (easy) way to get that drive as a boot device on your machine.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

Most Z77 motherboard doesn't support NVMe drives. 

The only manufacturer that did release a bios update to for NVMe support is AsRock. 

You have two options now, either find a way to get NVMe support onto your motherboard which involves modifying BIOSes, or return the NVMe drive and get something like an HyperX Predator PCI-e based SSD. 

Yea I red that my mobo is not supported right after I ordered this drive...

but its seems weird to me, why would it be visible as a normal hard drive, but not showing up in the bios?

Do you know how to modify the bios? Or can you search for me a good tutorial for that?

Im not gonna return it, I have some plans to buy a new mobo and cpu anyways, mine is just too old and weak ;[

And also I got this one for a very good price, I can wait until I will but new parts.

Just now, pwn_intended said:

Oops, somehow missed the NVME part. Yea, there is more than likely no (easy) way to get that drive as a boot device on your machine.

Actually, it's easier than you think. Just a huge risk since you can easily brick your motherboard if you do it incorrectly. 

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

Same as I wrote before, I didn't notice my Mobo does not support NVMe until I bought this drive...

Do you know how to modify the bios and let it work? Or do u know where can I find a good tutorial for that?

1 minute ago, Kasdo said:

Yea I red that my mobo is not supported right after I ordered this drive...

but its seems weird to me, why would it be visible as a normal hard drive, but not showing up in the bios?

Do you know how to modify the bios? Or can you search for me a good tutorial for that?

Im not gonna return it, I have some plans to buy a new mobo and cpu anyways, mine is just too old and weak ;[

And also I got this one for a very good price, I can wait until I will but new parts.

You can still use it as a secondary drive, but you need NVMe support on the motherboard to use it as a boot device.

Go do a quick google search if you really want to modify your BIOS. I am sure you'll find it. 

Just now, itsmyjobtoknow said:

You can still use it as a secondary drive, but you need NVMe support on the motherboard to use it as a boot device.

Go do a quick google search if you really want to modify your BIOS. I am sure you'll find it. 

That's what I will do now, thank you :)

And I don't want to use it as a secondary drive, my main drive is some normal and slow HDD, I did a mistake and bought my rig few years ago without SSD...