PC shutting down randonly

I just bought a new mb, the Asus Gryphon Z87. Since I have installed, my PC shuts down randomly, since there's no BSOD or system restart I'll try using another PSU.

Some useful information:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670

Former MB: MSI H81M-E33

RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz 1.5v

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w 80 Plus (3yr old).

Since, my PSU was released back in 2010, it  might not be in check for Z87.

Just saw some methods, like unplugging only the 24-pin, than use a paper clip connecting the green and black wires to see if it's the motherboard.

I'll try also with a XFX XT 500w that I have at work.

how are your temps? your symptoms also seem to mirror thermal issues with the cpu.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

use openhardwaremonitor to check temps of your cpu and gpu, if they hit past 90 degrees celsius the pc will shut down.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

12 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

how are your temps? your symptoms also seem to mirror thermal issues with the cpu.

6 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

use openhardwaremonitor to check temps of your cpu and gpu, if they hit past 90 degrees celsius the pc will shut down.

I'll try that, because It had shut down while playing Rainbow Six Siege and COD Black Ops III.

14 minutes ago, Kantor said:

try removing and reinstalling the ram

I did installed on the second and fourth slot (User guide instructions), I'll try installing also on A1-B1.

Guys, is that normal on Z motherboards? I didn't had any of theses issues on H81.

well if its thermals and no hardware failure...then its usually a user error.

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You're going to try a different PSU? What are the results?

I edit my posts a lot.

Have you installed the latest drivers for your new motherboard?

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

3 hours ago, Quaker said:

Have you installed the latest drivers for your new motherboard?

Yes. Does that interfere on the PC shutting down ?

13 hours ago, Kantor said:

try removing and reinstalling the ram

13 hours ago, legacy99 said:

13 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

12 hours ago, MrDrWho13 said:

You're going to try a different PSU? What are the results?

Guys, just did everything you had advise me to, but it still shuts down. I did some stress testing with Prime 95 and the CPU went above the 90ºC mark, and didn't shut down while testing.

I tested with another PSU, reapplied thermal paste, reinstalled Windows 10, but the system still shuts down, also, the temperatures doesn't matter, all of my testing this night was while idling.

9 minutes ago, FoxHunter said:

Guys, just did everything you had advise me to, but it still shuts down. I did some stress testing with Prime 95 and the CPU went above the 90ºC mark, and didn't shut down while testing.

I tested with another PSU, reapplied thermal paste, reinstalled Windows 10, but the system still shuts down, also, the temperatures doesn't matter, all of my testing this night was while idling.

since you said it is happening even at idle..do you have anything in the windows event viewer? i would also suggest downloading memtest86 and run it through minimum of 10 passes..

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

10 hours ago, legacy99 said:

since you said it is happening even at idle..do you have anything in the windows event viewer? i would also suggest downloading memtest86 and run it through minimum of 10 passes..

I don't think I have "Bad" RAM, it worked perfectly on my MSI H81m-E33.

37 minutes ago, FoxHunter said:

I don't think I have "Bad" RAM, it worked perfectly on my MSI H81m-E33.

I would still test it to rule it out though.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

12 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I would still test it to rule it out though.

I'll do the RAM testing when I get home, and report the results to you tonight.

18 minutes ago, FoxHunter said:

I'll do the RAM testing when I get home, and report the results to you tonight.

Sounds good, if it passes, then my only other thought would be your PSU is failing. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

21 hours ago, FoxHunter said:

Yes. Does that interfere on the PC shutting down ?

Yes, driver conflicts can cause all sorts of problems, including random shutdowns. Sometimes the problem is only resolved when a new driver is released.

So make sure all your drivers - sound, graphics, chipset, LAN, etc - are up to date. And check if there's a new BIOS for your motherboard that fixes stability or compatibility issues.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

7 hours ago, Quaker said:

Yes, driver conflicts can cause all sorts of problems, including random shutdowns. Sometimes the problem is only resolved when a new driver is released.

So make sure all your drivers - sound, graphics, chipset, LAN, etc - are up to date. And check if there's a new BIOS for your motherboard that fixes stability or compatibility issues.

The first thing I did when happened the first time I updated the drivers and the BIOS, but still shutting down.

9 hours ago, legacy99 said:

Sounds good, if it passes, then my only other thought would be your PSU is failing. 

I already changed the PSU to an XFX XT 500w yesterday, and stills the same.

13 hours ago, legacy99 said:

I just ran once, and shut down on Test 10, pass 1 of 4. Trying other RAM tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, FoxHunter said:

I just ran once, and shut down on Test 10, pass 1 of 4. Trying other RAM tomorrow.

mmmk, If it shot down during the test, tells me that your RAM may be faulty. Let us know how your ram swap goes tomorrow and tests. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

14 hours ago, legacy99 said:

mmmk, If it shot down during the test, tells me that your RAM may be faulty. Let us know how your ram swap goes tomorrow and tests. 

I've bring the RAM to my work, so I'll test on the PC I work on. It has an Intel Core i7-2600k 4.5GHz, ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, 2-kits 2x4GB Patriot Viper Xtreme 1600MHz (which I'll be testing on my Z87 Gryphon), GTX 560 Ti and Thermaltake TR2 800W.

On 8/1/2016 at 8:00 AM, FoxHunter said:

I just bought a new mb, the Asus Gryphon Z87. Since I have installed, my PC shuts down randomly, since there's no BSOD or system restart I'll try using another PSU.

Some useful information:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670

Former MB: MSI H81M-E33

RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz 1.5v

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w 80 Plus (3yr old).

Since, my PSU was released back in 2010, it  might not be in check for Z87.

Just saw some methods, like unplugging only the 24-pin, than use a paper clip connecting the green and black wires to see if it's the motherboard.

I'll try also with a XFX XT 500w that I have at work.

Is it actually shutting down? Or is it shutting off.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

1 hour ago, Remixt said:

Is it actually shutting down? Or is it shutting off.

Shutting Off, no warning shut down, no BOSD, no visual clues, and does not power itself on. I'm not a native speaker, my bad.

The Kingston RAM worked just fine on my workstation, and it's OCed, going home with the Patriot to see if it's the RAM, but my guess is a bad motherboard.