Need suggestions on Microphones

Resonance
Go to solution Solved by mooommo,

Okay, thanks mooommo. I appreciate your help immensely. It all boils down to the condition of the environment that I'm recording in. Though, since I did return the AT2020's, would you recommend the Yeti?

I have never tried it, but i have heard good things about it.

Recently, I've purchased myself some headphones, Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and I enjoy them thoroughly. However, since I've just upgraded from using a headset, I'm in need of a new microphone. This microphone, I'll be using for video making and livestreaming. I will use it for Skype, because there is no other alternative, if I do get a mic. (I do not like the quality of the Mod Mic)

I had bought the Audio Technica AT2020's USB, usb... because I thought I wouldn't need to buy a soundcard, if I bought the XLR counterpart. The issue I was having was that it was picking up too much background noise, even from outside of my room. I've already returned the mic, so I can no longer test it. (This wasn't really effecting video making, because I can just filter out the noise through audacity, but if I buy a mic I want it to be great)

If anyone knows Roosterteeth, which I'm sure most will, they also use Audio Technica mics, for both videos and podcasts, but when you hear them, they're talking with mics on a table, next to each other. With the mic I had, it would pick up noise from outside the room... but theirs weren't even picking up noise from the other person. (I'm just saying this as a contrast to what I want, because they probably have some way of doing that, if anyone knows)

Anyway, I just need suggestions on what to buy. I'm probably going to order the XLR counterpart, just to see if XLR makes a difference in clarity.

Thanks all, I humbly appreciate it.

Intel Core i7-4790k | ASUS 4GB GTX 970 | 32GB (4X8GB) DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + WD 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H100i | Windows 8.1 64bit

Mics come in directional (like a boom shotgun mic) and omni directional (like a camcorder). If you want to get less sound from other rooms, make sure to keep the mic close to your face (pop filters are good to help reduce breathing), and keep all of the windows and doors closed. Even with the best mics though, there will be some background noise, so the better answer is to tell the people living with you to quiet down when you are recording, or move to your basement if you have one.  

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Well, I suppose family issues can be trimmed down. Though, would there be much difference between a USB and XLR setup? Even if there will always be background noise, I want to minimize it the most that can be done.

Intel Core i7-4790k | ASUS 4GB GTX 970 | 32GB (4X8GB) DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + WD 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H100i | Windows 8.1 64bit

I have had very good experiences with the blue yeti. Excellent audio quality and will run audio digitally through USB (less interference noise). Also, side note, the yeti has physical dials on it to control the sensitivity as well as a dial to toggle (omni, mono, directional, or stereo) so that it can be used in a variety of situations. I have used it to record podcasts as well as music from a piano right under it.

I have had very good experiences with the blue yeti. Excellent audio quality and will run audio digitally through USB (less interference noise). Also, side note, the yeti has physical dials on it to control the sensitivity as well as a dial to toggle (omni, mono, directional, or stereo) so that it can be used in a variety of situations. I have used it to record podcasts as well as music from a piano right under it.

The yeti does look compelling, I may try it out. On amazon, there is a silver edition and a platinum edition. I don't know what the difference is. Is it just the color?

Well, I suppose family issues can be trimmed down. Though, would there be much difference between a USB and XLR setup? Even if there will always be background noise, I want to minimize it the most that can be done.

XLR and USB are the same (in most low end setups). Unless you have a bunch of expensive equipment they really don't make a difference. No matter what interface you have it comes down to the mic and the surroundings.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

XLR and USB are the same (in most low end setups). Unless you have a bunch of expensive equipment they really don't make a difference. No matter what interface you have it comes down to the mic and the surroundings.

I'm just quite confused now. How is it that my headset mic sounds better, in terms of picking up noise? Or someone else's headset mic?

Edit: Rather than that, is there any other way of improving it? Such as if I bought an XLR AT2020 and used a 3.5mm converter and plugged it into a high-end soundcard? Would be there any difference?

(I'm new to this, sorry)

I'm just quite confused now. How is it that my headset mic sounds better, in terms of picking up noise? Or someone else's headset mic?

I'm not sure entirely what you mean either, i was saying that the interface doesn't matter to much in terms of picking up background noise. The benefits of XLR are that you can change the amps and the filters from an analogue sound because the USB ones do that for you.

Mics pick up sound as a wavelength (analogue), but computers cannot read analogue properly, so they have to turn them into digital recordings of waves. Usb microphones include the hardware to do it for you, but some people need filters or like their amps better. If you aren't planning on spending hundreds of dollars on a proper setup than the usb microphones will be good enough.

Okay, thanks mooommo. I appreciate your help immensely. It all boils down to the condition of the environment that I'm recording in. Though, since I did return the AT2020's, would you recommend the Yeti?

I have never tried it, but i have heard good things about it.

Thanks mooommo, I greatly, greatly, appreciate your help. :)

Sorry for being not too informed.