VRAM filling up from 2600MB to 2900MB on GTA V.

Hello,

I've had problems over the past week with GTA V and it filling up my VRAM without any apparent reason. In the graphics settings on GTA V it says its using 1600MB of the 3000MB available. When I'm not running GTA V, gpu-z shows me its using somewhere between 300MB - 400MB. When I just started GTA V and I got outside my garage I get about 2600MB which looks fine. After about 15 minutes of driving around my VRAM slowly fills up until 2900MB+ and then it starts going back to 1fps every now an then for 3 seconds and then back to 60fps. 

Has anyone had the same problem as me/knows how to fix this? I'm using the latest drivers from nvidia geforce experience and I've disabled any non realtek audio drivers. System config is in my signature below.

Kind regards,

K0enf0rNL

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

Why your Vram is filling up:

You are driving around. You see new stuff. New buildings, new people, new cars, etc. That's all stuff, that has to be in the Vram, so the GPU has access to it.

You apparently use Settings, that "consumme" more than 3gb Vram --> Any additional amount is getting into the Ram. Which is MUCH slower than the VRam --> fps drop.

How to Solve the Problem:

Reduce the settings. If you use Ultra, try High. If you use High, try Medium.

Does this solfe your Problem? If yes, then your GPU has not enough Vram, to smoothly run your desired settings.

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

Why your Vram is filling up:

You are driving around. You see new stuff. New buildings, new people, new cars, etc. That's all stuff, that has to be in the Vram, so the GPU has access to it.

You apparently use Settings, that "consumme" more than 3gb Vram --> Any additional amount is getting into the Ram. Which is MUCH slower than the VRam --> fps drop.

How to Solve the Problem:

Reduce the settings. If you use Ultra, try High. If you use High, try Medium.

Does this solfe your Problem? If yes, then your GPU has not enough Vram, to smoothly run your desired settings.

I'm using lower settings than the optimal settings from geforce experience. When I go to the online lobby menu's for a race it starts going down to 1fps too. It just fills up and then never goes back down. I already reduced the VRAM usage from 2600MB (in GTA V settings) to 1500MB without any result. Is it possible vsync is causing this "lag"?

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

5 minutes ago, k0enf0rNL said:

Hello,

I've had problems over the past week with GTA V and it filling up my VRAM without any apparent reason. In the graphics settings on GTA V it says its using 1600MB of the 3000MB available. When I'm not running GTA V, gpu-z shows me its using somewhere between 300MB - 400MB. When I just started GTA V and I got outside my garage I get about 2600MB which looks fine. After about 15 minutes of driving around my VRAM slowly fills up until 2900MB+ and then it starts going back to 1fps every now an then for 3 seconds and then back to 60fps. 

Has anyone had the same problem as me/knows how to fix this? I'm using the latest drivers from nvidia geforce experience and I've disabled any non realtek audio drivers. System config is in my signature below.

Kind regards,

K0enf0rNL

The easiest way is to reduce texture resolution settings as well as draw distance / LOD, until your RAM doesn't get full.

The problem is, when your VRAM is full the GPU has to wait for a bit of it to empty before it can fill it up with a new thing, thus, terrible stutters.

Overlcocking your VRAM might allow you to run a higher setting without it filling up.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Only thinkg, VSynd is causing is, removing "Tearing", and "capping" your FPS to the same amount of how much Hz your monitor has.

However, many claim that VSync produces "input Lag".

But this has nothing to do with fps droping low.

But: If you only have 1.5gb Ram in usage, out of 3gb total, and your fps still drop, the Problem is somewhere else. Either GPU perforamnce, or CPU.

But CPU is still very potent.

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The easiest way is to reduce texture resolution settings as well as draw distance / LOD, until your RAM doesn't get full.

The problem is, when your VRAM is full the GPU has to wait for a bit of it to empty before it can fill it up with a new thing, thus, terrible stutters.

Overlcocking your VRAM might allow you to run a higher setting without it filling up.

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

Only thinkg, VSynd is causing is, removing "Tearing", and "capping" your FPS to the same amount of how much Hz your monitor has.

However, many claim that VSync produces "input Lag".

But this has nothing to do with fps droping low.

But: If you only have 1.5gb Ram in usage, out of 3gb total, and your fps still drop, the Problem is somewhere else. Either GPU perforamnce, or CPU.

But CPU is still very potent.

Currently trying with less distance scaling. I've already turned down the textures to normal instead of high. I've ran GTA V on my pc before and it worked perfectly fine. I'll update if it happens again in the next 10 minutes. Thanks for your help anyways.

current rig (march 2023)

1 minute ago, k0enf0rNL said:

Currently trying with less distance scaling. I've already turned down the textures to normal instead of high. I've ran GTA V on my pc before and it worked perfectly fine. I'll update if it happens again in the next 10 minutes. Thanks for your help anyways.

Grand Theft Auto V tends to be a bitch using VRAM. Usually fucking with texture quality helps a lot. That and grass density.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, k0enf0rNL said:

Oh and disable all gameworks features if you see any, those are a bitch for Kepler xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oh and disable all gameworks features if you see any, those are a bitch for Kepler xD

Which ones are the gameworks features? The VRAM is currently somewhere around 2000MB so I can slowly turn some options up again. thanks!

current rig (march 2023)

Just now, k0enf0rNL said:

Which ones are the gameworks features? The VRAM is currently somewhere around 2000MB so I can slowly turn some options up again. thanks!

The most prominent are Hairworks and HBAO+

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The most prominent are Hairworks and HBAO+

I don't get it. after about 20 minutes of playing its all the way up to 2800MB again.

current rig (march 2023)

Just now, k0enf0rNL said:

I don't get it. after about 20 minutes of playing its all the way up to 2800MB again.

What resolution?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

What resolution?

1920x1080, it stayed stable at 2900MB for about 2 hours. Thanks for your help! Gonna try to up some settings.

current rig (march 2023)

Yesterday I played for 2 hours without any drops to 1fps but now they are back and I didn't even change any settings. The VRAM is on 2800MB so not as much as yesterday but it still drops to 1fps very often for 3 seconds precicely. I don't understand why this happens. My cpu is around 60%-70% and gpu is 70 degress celsius. It appears to drop more often when doing online jobs instead of online free roam and offline free roam. Then again if the internet speed/ping is a problem I shouldn't be getting dropped to 1fps. What can I do to fix this? 

current rig (march 2023)