Monitor Question

hey guys,

So, my 1070 is going to be arriving soon...  This has me looking into a monitor upgrade. I've been rocking an old samsung syncmaster for several years now (probably about 5 or 6) and its about time for an upgrade from teh 1080 60hz stone age... 

From what I can tell, 1080p 144hz is getting quite affordable in Canada... whereas the cheapest 144hz 1440p monitor is an ugly Red acer one that starts at 500ish CAD.... .

I've seen 144hz and I think that is more important to me than resolution... my question is: if i have a 1070 is 1080 144hz not enough to really push it ? will i regret my purchase in a year or so ? 

- Chris

1 minute ago, ChrisxParkinson said:

1080p 144Hz no problem.

But I actually don't really understand your question though.

Mind rephrasing it?

Just now, Ichi said:

1080p 144Hz no problem.

But I actually don't really understand your question though.

Mind rephrasing it?

I'm looking to upgrade a 1080 60hz monitor for sure. My question is whether or not i should upgrade to 1080 144hz or 1440 144hz ? the price range on 1080 144hz is great in Canada, I can't say the same for 1440. Im sort of just asking if anyone has personal experience with 1440p and would say it is a justifiable expense ? I don't mind spending the money as long as i know it will be well worth :)

- Chris

Just now, ChrisxParkinson said:

I'm looking to upgrade a 1080 60hz monitor for sure. My question is whether or not i should upgrade to 1080 144hz or 1440 144hz ? the price range on 1080 144hz is great in Canada, I can't say the same for 1440. Im sort of just asking if anyone has personal experience with 1440p and would say it is a justifiable expense ? I don't mind spending the money as long as i know it will be well worth :)

Ah, all boils down to what type of game you play.

Since you're asking about 144Hz I would assume FPS games.

The extra resolution is always good if you want the game to look nice but you have to compromise on framerates of course.

I'm not sure if single GTX1070 can power a 1440p 144Hz so that will need others to answer it for you.

But 1080p 144Hz is definitely a breeze for a GTX1070.

1 minute ago, Ichi said:

Ah, all boils down to what type of game you play.

Since you're asking about 144Hz I would assume FPS games.

The extra resolution is always good if you want the game to look nice but you have to compromise on framerates of course.

I'm not sure if single GTX1070 can power a 1440p 144Hz so that will need others to answer it for you.

But 1080p 144Hz is definitely a breeze for a GTX1070.

cool, thats what I was kind of thinking... do you know of any monitors you would recommend ? all the big channels only review like crazy expensive gsync ones lol 

- Chris