Raptor X dead

nicehat

My gaming hard drive that Ive had since 2005 has died. Its been an awesome drive (loud, but Id recommend it to anyone). In short, Ive been out of the Mechanical Hard Drive loop for quite a ling time now and I dont have time to thoroughly research whats what these days. So I am turning to you the LTT community to help me out.

I need a high cap Hard Drive (@7200 RPM) that will just be used for Steam, Origin and any other misc titles. By high Cap, I mean 1 TB or so. Whats a good brand? Id prefer WD but Im a bit unsure as to which would be best. What about Hybrid Drives should I waste time with those wrt gaming?

Thanks 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

WD Black or Seagate Barracuda. Green 1TBs would be cheaper, but I've heard bad things about their reliability and it's 5400.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Baracudaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

Caviarssss

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Pick up a WD Blue 1TB. It's cheap and actually faster than their Black version simply because they haven't updated the WD Black SKU yet. I got 180MB/s reads and writes on the one I just picked up for my work PC (which is 80MB/s faster than my older Black drive).

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

wd1500-plexi-pers.jpg

That's actually a sexy drive you got here..

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Hmm ok So Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue or Black. This narrows it down alot for me thanks abunch. 

How long do these HDs last you guys gander? 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Hmm ok So Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue or Black. This narrows it down alot for me thanks abunch. 

I"ve had a lot more WD's die in my servers compared to Barracuda's. I only run Barracuda's now.

Well I've personally never had a WD drive fail on me... I know one friend who's WD Black died on him, but other than that, my experience with about 15 WD drives have been flawless. It looks like the Blue's MTBF is 750K hours.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

wd1500-plexi-pers.jpg

That's actually a sexy drive you got here..

Dont remind me :( Im so sad. I love just watching the heads hit the platter reading writing data. Too bad I couldnt find a good way of bolting it to the side panel of my case so I could see it from the outside. I was thinking of getting another Raptor but none of the new ones have the clear panel. Not that it would matter anyway :( 

Get this seagate barracuda, faster and quieter than a WD Blue drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

Do you have a source for that info? I'd be interested to see the benchmarks.

Wd blue (latest revision)

e6781928_03-April-2013_19-05.png

Seagate

900x900px-LL-31145ee7_14-April-2012_22-4

Speeds are pretty much similar (if your looking at the latest wd blue revision , the older revision was slower and had higher access times), and like DaftBehemoth said, don't get a 1tb wd black(hasn't been updated in ages and is pretty slow these days)

Speeds are pretty much similar (if your looking at the latest wd blue revision , the older revision was slower and had higher access times), and like DaftBehemoth said, don't get a 1tb wd black(hasn't been updated in ages and is pretty slow these days)

That's in line with what I found when I was just recently shopping around. Are these your personal benches or did you find them online somewhere?

Here it is, had trouble finding it. Had to go digging around in my history.

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/516951/snoopii/hard-disksssds-seagatevswd1tb

Those results certainly show an edge to the Barracuda, but you should  look at Flamewalker's post as well... I wish we had a better and more standardized bench for hard drives somewhere out there. Perhaps some clearer naming schemes for drives as well. The results in your bench look like the old WD Blue while Flamewalker's look like the new one (as it's showing very similar results to what my new rev. WD Blue got in ATTO).

Speed aside, you should keep in mind the warranties if you're concerned about drive longevity, @nicehat. These companies don't simply assign an arbitrary amount of time to cover their drives. Choosing how long you can afford to support your product is a painstaking task that hardware providers take very seriously. The drive with the longer warranty is also likely to last longer.

That's in line with what I found when I was just recently shopping around. Are these your personal benches or did you find them online somewhere?

Those results certainly show an edge to the Barracuda, but you should  look at Flamewalker's post as well... I wish we had a better and more standardized bench for hard drives somewhere out there. Perhaps some clearer naming schemes for drives as well. The results in your bench look like the old WD Blue while Flamewalker's look like the new one (as it's showing very similar results to what my new rev. WD Blue got in ATTO).

Speed aside, you should keep in mind the warranties if you're concerned about drive longevity, @nicehat. These companies don't simply assign an arbitrary amount of time to cover their drives. Choosing how long you can afford to support your product is a painstaking task that hardware providers take very seriously. The drive with the longer warranty is also likely to last longer.

The pictures are from the internet (i bought a 1tb wd blue for friends pc build awhile ago and it's getting the exact same speeds as in the screenshot.) 

I also have a picture of the old revision (had both linked before in a different thread here) 

57EAED07-EAF0-4389-BAC79300ECF55F2E.JPG

And i think the seagate warranty is 2 years and the wd blue is 3 years

But yer , they are pretty close in terms of speed from what i saw (wd blue latest revision vs seagate)

Those results certainly show an edge to the Barracuda, but you should  look at Flamewalker's post as well... I wish we had a better and more standardized bench for hard drives somewhere out there. 

The problem with Flamewalker's post is that they are on different OSes (and possibly different hardware) so I would take it with a grain of salt. Especially since the Barracuda is well known to be faster than the WD Blue.

Thats a very good point DaftBehemoth. I want a drive that will last about as long as my Raptor X - 6-7 years. I had some really bad experiences in the past with Maxtor in the past (when I was first tinkering with PCs) and those drives would last a year or so, bad stuff. I have alot more faith in Seagate and WD because I own both brands in various machines and have no complaints. 

About your point about @Flamewalker Vs @Bonsai99 's benchmarks certainly does add alot of confusion at my end. I dont doubt either of these guys, Im sure they both own excellent drives. Google searching benchmarks pitting the two also brings conflicting info. hmmmmmmmm

Also, how do I know what the latest version of Blue is? 

The problem with Flamewalker's post is that they are on different OSes (and possibly different hardware) so I would take it with a grain of salt. Especially since the Barracuda is well known to be faster than the WD Blue.

Good point, I didnt notice that. Would it make a big difference? 

If all it's doing is storing games to be loaded from, then probably a Western Digital Black would be a good option as it would help keep loading times down with it's speed etc. But otherwise a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm drive will be great, and a WD Blue would also be fine. No need to go with a hybrid drive as when all you're storing is large games, the little cache isn't going to help as much as if it was loading the OS and programs from. 

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Not sure how much of a difference it would make but it definitely would affect the results.

Agreed and it definitely could make a difference. I think that you simply can't make a bad choice here. Seagate and WD are the companies that I would look between when choosing my next drives. The performance is close enough between these two that I wouldn't think that you'd be able to tell the difference. I'd go for whichever gets you the longest warranty. 

Let me go get the link for the new WD drive that I got off Amazon. That should be simple enough. There we go: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088PUEPK/ref=oh_details_o02_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like i mentioned in the previous post, i bought a wd blue 1tb awhile ago (couple months ago) for a friends pc build ran benches on it when i got it, and it got exactly the same speeds as that screenshot.( give or take 1-2 mb/s)

If its made after july 2013 then you got the newer revision, before that then its the old revision.

Either way you can't go wrong with either drive (seagate or wd) 

Great, thanks for all the help fellas. Def made things easier.