Using a Fractal Design S36 CPU Block in custom loop?

I have the Fractal Design S36 water cooler (that I coincidentally bought at the LTT meetup last year), and I plan to hopefully transition into a custom water cooling loop in the near-ish future.

The S36 has G1/4" threads on the rad and the pump/block combo unit, so I can reuse the rad for sure. What I'm less certain about is if I can use the pump/block combo as JUST a CPU block.

Does anyone know if this will be a significant issue when combined with a standard DDC/D5 pump? Would it be better to have the block plugged in and working in series to the pump, or unplugged and just acting as a CPU block if I end up using it?

The only reason I'm considering this is because I want to spread out watercooling-related purchases, so if I can get a away with buying a reservoir and a pump first, then wait a bit before buying a CPU block, I'd take that option.

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

I would be concerned about the CPU block not having G1/4 threads.  As for using the pump in the block it may reduce your overall flow rate, to what degree I don't know

2 minutes ago, Finnman said:

I would be concerned about the CPU block not having G1/4 threads.  As for using the pump in the block it may reduce your overall flow rate, to what degree I don't know

The S36 CPU block definitely does have G1/4" threads, and the default fittings are replaceable, which should be okay. Do you think running an external pump and the block's built-in pump in series will be okay, or would I feasibly be better off with just an external pump? Mainly I'm worried about breaking the block's pump, which could cause more trouble than if I left it off.

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

Using dual pumps in series can do wonders for a loop and mixing different pumps is not an issue as long as you stay withing flow\head pressure range of either pump but I would not use S36 in combination with something like D5. Looking at specs on fractal site, head pressure and flow rate is not that great, so most likely what will happen is that you will reach the limit of s36 capabilities.  If this happens, you would need to artificially drop your flow rate to stay withing s36 range, if you exceed s36 max head pressure pump will just stop and D5 will be doing all the work but this kind of operation might damage components inside s36 pump.

You just better off selling s36 and building custom loop or maybe build 2nd loop for your gpu\vrms etc. and add external rad to s36 to make it pretty and bleed easier. Also, you can try adding components to your loop using only s36 and when flow rate is not enough to keep your components cool\push though the loop just add d5 and turn s36 off. Personally, I would just use s36 as is until you have enough to make your own full custom loop that will replace s36 and sell s36 once you get that loop figured out and working not beforexD

16 hours ago, ShiftyFella said:

Using dual pumps in series can do wonders for a loop and mixing different pumps is not an issue as long as you stay withing flow\head pressure range of either pump but I would not use S36 in combination with something like D5. Looking at specs on fractal site, head pressure and flow rate is not that great, so most likely what will happen is that you will reach the limit of s36 capabilities.  If this happens, you would need to artificially drop your flow rate to stay withing s36 range, if you exceed s36 max head pressure pump will just stop and D5 will be doing all the work but this kind of operation might damage components inside s36 pump.

You just better off selling s36 and building custom loop or maybe build 2nd loop for your gpu\vrms etc. and add external rad to s36 to make it pretty and bleed easier. Also, you can try adding components to your loop using only s36 and when flow rate is not enough to keep your components cool\push though the loop just add d5 and turn s36 off. Personally, I would just use s36 as is until you have enough to make your own full custom loop that will replace s36 and sell s36 once you get that loop figured out and working not beforexD

Good suggestions! I think what I'll end up doing almost certainly is getting an external reservoir, seeing as it's something the built-in pump can handle easily and it will let me keep the pump from running dry (in fact, the cooler sounds like it has air bubbles in it currently, which may be... foreboding). I like your suggestion of adding to the loop until the S36 starts to struggle with flow rate, because I could do something like add a GPU block in first, then when the pump starts to strain either replace it with a dedicated CPU block and pump, or shut it off and add just a pump.

I may end up keeping the S36 regardless though; the rad is reusable, and even if it's relatively thin, it's all copper and already there. Heck, I can save some cash early on then spend it on a kickass newer rad if I need (want) one.

Thanks for the help!