Routing Issue

Mattaeus
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

I'm assuming games.cromat.com (and the related IP address) is your own static IP. And it looks like you are trying to test this from within your network. In this case what you need to look up is called hairpin NAT. Basically you are trying to ping your router's external IP from your internal IP.

BTW, your modem doesn't have an IP address. Well, it might have a local one, but modems don't need to (and shouldn't) be accessible from the public internet.

IS .61 your public IP assigned by the ISP, or is that the gateway IP they told you to use?

Hey guys,

I sure hope someone can help me with this dilemma. Essentially I am trying to configure my modem to allow incoming traffic/pings for all applications (game servers mostly). I have a static IP setup ISP end which does not require me to change anything on my modem. Please check traceroute below:

Tracing route to games.cromat.net [165.255.244.61]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    44 ms    43 ms    43 ms  cpt-up1.ip.adsl.co.za [169.1.5.105] <- ISP
  4    55 ms    51 ms    50 ms  cpt-up2.ip.adsl.co.za [169.1.5.106] <- ISP
  5    51 ms    50 ms    50 ms  cpt-net1.ip.adsl.co.za [169.1.5.128] <- ISP
  6    43 ms    44 ms    44 ms  cpt-ex0.ip.adsl.co.za [169.1.5.137] <- ISP
  7    42 ms    43 ms    42 ms  165-255-244-61.ip.adsl.co.za [165.255.244.61] <- Modem
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9    43 ms    43 ms    44 ms  165-255-244-61.ip.adsl.co.za [165.255.244.61] <- Modem
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12    61 ms    60 ms    60 ms  165-255-244-61.ip.adsl.co.za [165.255.244.61] <- Modem
 13    86 ms    87 ms    86 ms  165-255-244-61.ip.adsl.co.za [165.255.244.61] <- Modem

As you can see the trace times out on the 8th hop not sure if thats the modem or on my ISP's end. I assume the 8th hop is due to the problem on the 2nd hop. But as you can see my returning ping result should be about 42ms but due to this issue my request or any request for that matter is being sent out multiple times causing my final ping result to be much higher than it should. Ive been advised by a colleague that this issue is due to my modems routing/port forwarding (DLINK 2750U) however I am not sure where to allow the second hop to continue or if this an issue that my ISP must resolve. So in a nutshell anyone joining my game servers has 100+ ping even if they are in same city/town as the server. Any help regarding this would help greatly.

I'm assuming games.cromat.com (and the related IP address) is your own static IP. And it looks like you are trying to test this from within your network. In this case what you need to look up is called hairpin NAT. Basically you are trying to ping your router's external IP from your internal IP.

BTW, your modem doesn't have an IP address. Well, it might have a local one, but modems don't need to (and shouldn't) be accessible from the public internet.

IS .61 your public IP assigned by the ISP, or is that the gateway IP they told you to use?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

The IP 165.255.244.61 is basically my internet/WAN static IP address. When testing from an external location when the trace hits my ip i get several time outs then a hop will come through with a higher ping usually 20-30ms more then normal. I am currently in talks with my ISP regarding this since there is essentially a routing issue somewhere. Anyways thanks for your help.