Moving Contents from one HDD or SSD to another?

Godospartan

This probably has answers everywhere, but for modern systems and OS's it may be different than back in say 2006 or such. and i trust the LTT forums more than a random site i may find.

So my question is simple, and if my signature is showing up you may look to see why i am even asking about this in the first place, so here it goes:

I am looking to upgrade by the beginning of 2017, when i have the money to pour into the best price to performance (and reliability) drives. but, as i have never upgraded a computer besides slapping a GPU into an old computer at one point, i would like to know how to go about switching everything from one to the other. Say i get a 240GB SSD, how do i take my Boot Drive with OS on it currently, and transfer it all over without having to go through program hell? Same for the HDD if you please.

Current Rig: Case: Coolermaster MasterBox 5 Mid-tower. CPU: Core I5-6600K. GPU: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1070 Founders Edition. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P. RAM: Geil GA4 style 8GB 2400 x2 for 16GB total. SSD: Sandisk SD8SBAT-128G-1122 Z400. HDD: Toshiba 1TB Hard Drive

Current PeripheralsKeyboard: Logitech G710 Blue Edition. Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse @ Logitech M570 Trackball. Headphones: Philips SHP9500's. Mic: V-Moda Boom Pro. Monitors: a Dell 1440x900 cheapo and an RCA 32 inch 1080p tv. Webcam: Logitech C920

how have you currently got your storage set up now. Is the ssd got the operating system on it or the hdd

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

5 minutes ago, Godospartan said:

This probably has answers everywhere, but for modern systems and OS's it may be different than back in say 2006 or such. and i trust the LTT forums more than a random site i may find.

So my question is simple, and if my signature is showing up you may look to see why i am even asking about this in the first place, so here it goes:

I am looking to upgrade by the beginning of 2017, when i have the money to pour into the best price to performance (and reliability) drives. but, as i have never upgraded a computer besides slapping a GPU into an old computer at one point, i would like to know how to go about switching everything from one to the other. Say i get a 240GB SSD, how do i take my Boot Drive with OS on it currently, and transfer it all over without having to go through program hell? Same for the HDD if you please.

you can take a look at this post and program, looks like it is what you are looking for. http://www.backup-utility.com/clone/transfer-os-to-another-hard-drive.html

2 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

how have you currently got your hdds set up now. Is the ssd got the operating system on it or the hdd

the SSD holds my OS, windows 10 home, along with a variety of different programs, such as antivirus, steam, origin, discord, OBS, you name it. all my games, however, are on the HDD, not a single game is on my SSD because it's just a 120GB, wouldn't hold very many you know?

Current Rig: Case: Coolermaster MasterBox 5 Mid-tower. CPU: Core I5-6600K. GPU: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1070 Founders Edition. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P. RAM: Geil GA4 style 8GB 2400 x2 for 16GB total. SSD: Sandisk SD8SBAT-128G-1122 Z400. HDD: Toshiba 1TB Hard Drive

Current PeripheralsKeyboard: Logitech G710 Blue Edition. Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse @ Logitech M570 Trackball. Headphones: Philips SHP9500's. Mic: V-Moda Boom Pro. Monitors: a Dell 1440x900 cheapo and an RCA 32 inch 1080p tv. Webcam: Logitech C920

1 minute ago, Godospartan said:

the SSD holds my OS, windows 10 home, along with a variety of different programs, such as antivirus, steam, origin, discord, OBS, you name it. all my games, however, are on the HDD, not a single game is on my SSD because it's just a 120GB, wouldn't hold very many you know?

cool so its easy. As @ryslinkee has shown a cloning tool is the way to go. If you get a Samsung drive(and a couple other brands) it comes bundled with software to do this quickly and easily. Everything will stay the same as it was on your old drive. Just be aware the new drive MUST be bigger than the old one.

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

5 minutes ago, ryslinkee said:

you can take a look at this post and program, looks like it is what you are looking for. http://www.backup-utility.com/clone/transfer-os-to-another-hard-drive.html

if i CLONE my SSD and HDD to the other drives, will it still be authentic programs? my father once had a windows 7 computer from my uncle, that said it wasn't an authentic version of windows 7.

4 minutes ago, Godospartan said:

if i CLONE my SSD and HDD to the other drives, will it still be authentic programs? my father once had a windows 7 computer from my uncle, that said it wasn't an authentic version of windows 7.

there shouldnt be any issues as long as the cloning software is decent

1 minute ago, astrosheen said:

there shouldnt be any issues as long as the cloning software is decent

10 minutes ago, ryslinkee said:

if this one is, then i thank both of you. as long as it's easy, without hassle, and will not give me any trouble, i will be happy. thinking of getting a WD black 2 TB, maybe a 3TB if i can afford it. and for the SSD, i got a samsung, i think, on the list from an earlier post i made where someone suggested it. thank ya!